The town's name derives from the Latin name "Bassius" with the addition of the suffix "-anus", which indicates the ownership.
Municipality in the province of Vicenza, located between the hills and the River Brenta, which passes through the foothills of the Alps of Vicenza, Bassano del Grappa is rich in historical elements and is famous for its traditional pottery. The river is overlooked by houses that feature several floors and particularly suggestive wooden balconies. The typical medieval main centre is divided into districts and its elegant Renaissance palaces are embellished with mullioned windows, arcades and loggias.
Archaeological findings attest that the area was inhabited since Pre-historic times and later, was colonized by the Romans. After the dissolution of the Empire, the town was exposed to the Barbarian invasions: events that pushed the populations of lowlands to seek shelter on the high ones and build fortifications. At these times the urban core expanded between the hills towards to the plain. The area submitted the succession of several conquerors: from the XIII century, it belonged to the Ezzelini, to the Della Scala, to the Carrara family and the Visconti. At the beginning of the XV century it became part of the territory of the Serenissima Republic of Venice and later was the scenario of memorable battles with the Austrian troops.
- the Cathedral, located within the walls of the Upper Castle, was built in the XI century. Altered, for the first time in the XV century, it has, over the centuries submitted several refurbishments. It houses a precious wooden crucifix dating from 1100 and a XV century Cross attributed to the artist Filarete;
- the Church of San Francesco, built in the XII century, was enlarged several times. It features a Romanesque style and contains several valuable artworks;
- the XIV century Church of St. John the Baptist, which was restored in the XVIII century by Giovanni Miazzi;
- the Castle, a complex rebuilt by the Ezzelini, which was seriously damaged in the late Middle Ages;
- the Town Hall, built in 1582 and adorned with a XV century loggia with traces of frescoes;
- the Bridge of the Alpini, designed by Palladio in the second half of the XVI century;
- the XIV century Praetorian Palace;
- the XVI century gateway Porta Dieda;
- the Porta del Magnan;
- Casa Remondini;
- the Museum of Ceramics;
- the Museum of the Capuchins;
- the Museum of Grappa;
- the Museum of the Alpini;
- the Civic Museum.