City of art by vocation, Treviso is located at the confluence of the Sile river and the Cagnan one.
Linked to venice by a system of rivers in the past, the urban structure of the city has been modelled on the complex system of canals. In 1339 it was conquered by the Republic of Venice, after many lordships ((Ezzelini, Collalto, Da Camino, Scaligeri).
Still surrounded by Venetian walls, Treviso has an artistic and architectonic patrimony of great value.
Piazza dei Signori, the heart of the government in the past, is overlooked by the Palazzo del potestà (1877), in neo-Romanesque style, the XIX century Palazzo Pretorio and the Palazzo dei Trecento, seat of the court of justice and the town meeting.
The cathedral of Treviso is a mix of different style: it ws built between the XI and the XII century on the ruins of a early-Christian church; the dome is dated back to the XVIII century and the Neoclassic pronao was realized in 1836. Valuable frescoes by Pordenone and others (1520) and a beautiful "Annunciazione" by Tiziano can be admired inside.
The adjacent Romanesque Battistero (XI-XII century) has a XIV century bas-relief on the pediment, Roman relics ad frescoed dated XII-XIV century inside.
The majestic Church of San Nicolo (1348), in the South-Western part of the city, is characterised by huge cilindrical pillars, frescoed by Tommaso da Modena and other artists from his school. The walls are decorated with works by Palma il Giobane, Francesco Bassano il Vecchio and Antonio da Treviso (XV century).