Municipality in the province of Vicenza, located at the foot of Berici hills, the territories of Altavilla Vicentina border with those of the nearby regional capital. The town developed around the Old Castle, called la Rocca, located in a dominant position on a hill.
The discovery of a few, but significant, relics from the Neolithic Ages attest the presence of settlements in these areas since the Bronze Age. The area was colonized by the Romans who built, in 148 B.C., the Via Postumia and other important roads. To complete this it was necessary to reclaim lands using water collection channels.
To escape from the frequent barbaric invasions, the population gradually left the flat area to find refuge on the hills. The town is mentioned for the first time in a document of year 1000 and there is evidence that in 1250 the castle was assigned to an Apulian noble, Giovanni da Apricena. The area, devastated by the troops of Ezzelino Romano, in the XIV century became a possession of the Della Scala Family, then it was ceded to the Visconti and later to the Serenissima Venetian Republic from 1404 to 1797. After the Treaty of Campoformio, it was assigned to the Habsburgs, who ruled till 1866, when Veneto was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy. Significantly damaged by air strikes of World War II, after the war the town has lived a period of great development.
- the Church of St. Urbano sulla Rocca, located in a dominant position, is of ancient foundation and was enlarged in 1495. Inside it retains beautiful paintings of the pupils of the art school of Da Ponte, depicting the Last Judgement and the Birth of Jesus. In the XVIII century, the interior was enriched by the four altars in Baroque style. The Bell Tower struck by lightning in 1855, was rebuilt in 1863. The church was further enlarged in 1890. It features a single nave plan and a superb façade delineated by pilasters, Corinthian capitals and a rose window that dominates the center, surmounted by a gable and pinnacles. The square Bell Tower has a bell chamber bounded by a geometric decorations, beautiful arched windows, spire and pinnacles;
- the Church of San Biagio in Valmarana, which was built in 1228, rebuilt in 1475 and often submitted subsequently renovations, the present features are the result of a conglomeration of styles. It features a Latin cross plan with three chapels, the linearity of the façade is broken only by single arched windows. The bell tower has beautiful mullioned windows;
- the XVI century Oratory Morosini in Tavernelle was restored in the late XIX century. It features a rectangular plan, a façade delineated by pilasters and inside contains important paintings of the artist Paggiaro;
- the Church of SS. Redeemer, in Romanesque style, was completed in the 70s of the XX century;
- Villa Valmarana Morosini, built on the project of the architect Muttoni in 1724.