Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.




you are here: Home Veneto Rovigo, Vicenza and Treviso Nervesa della Battaglia


Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail


Nervesa della Battaglia


The town's name derives, for the first part, from the Latin name "Nervinius" (probably the name of the assigned landowner of the area), while the second part was added later and refers to the clashes in which the inhabitants were involved during the First World War of 1915-1918. Municipality in the province of Treviso, between the plains and hills of Susegana, Nervesa offers several opportunities to be in direct touch with the nature of its forests, particularly along the foothill paths.
The colonization of the area by the Romans is proven not only by name, but also by the discovery of various artifacts. The territory was divided into centuries and was most likely the building site of a fortification. The center is cited for the first time in a document which dates back to year 954, a period when the territories were donated by the Emperor to the accounts of Collalto, who controlled the area for a long while. Subsequently it submitted the domain of the Serenissima Republic of Venice, which lasted until the Napoleonic conquest, and the Habsburg rule. With its annexation to the Kingdom of Italy the surrounding forests suffered irreparable damage as a result of new legislation that had divided and granted the lands to the poorer families of the area. The town submitted heavy damage during the First World War and the abbey, the parish church of XVI century origins and several elegant villas, including the XVII century Villa Soderini , decorated with frescoes by Tiepolo, went completely destroyed.

- the ancient Abbey of St. Eustatius, which was founded in the first half of the XI century by the Counts of Treviso and was mentioned in a papal edit of year 1062. It lost its feudal rights with the advent of Napoleon and due to heavy bombing in Veneto during the First World War, it was seriously damaged and today there are only few remains. It is famous thanks to Monsignor della Casa, who wrote here, in the XVI century, two works, including the famous Galateo "the Etiquette";
- the Parish Church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, which features a neo-Classical façade, which is divided into two floors: the lower one, enriched by elegant half-columns with Greek capitals, while the upper one is wider than the width of the nave and is decorated with a blind arch and a tympanum with half columns. The building is flanked by a Bell Tower, which features a square base and massive structure, decorated with carved pilasters, which bring up to the belfry, built on two levels, topped by a nearly spherical spire, which offers a really pleasant chromatic effect;
- the Parish Church of St. Urban in the village of Bavaria, has ancient origins and was enlarged in the first half of the XIX century. Inside are preserved a marble altar from the Certosa of Montello;
- the Shrine of Montello which holds the remains of Italian and Austrian soldiers, that died in the Battle of the Solstice, during the First World War.


This town web page has been visited 23,948 times.

Choose language