Located in the Calvignano district, whose toponym can be traced back to "calle vitato", vineyard road, on the first Apennine hills, which stretches along the right bank of river Po, in the very centre of Oltrepo Pavese, the Travaglino Farm was founded in 1111 and the roots of its business philosophy can be found right in the secular wine traditions of the people of this land. From a historical point of view, the etymlogy of the word "Travaglino" is supposed to derive from the word "Travay", used in the nearby Piemonte to indicate work and from "Uga Travajena", a vernacular expression indicating a particular quality of grape. In 1880 the Farm was bought by Comi family: Cavalier Vincenzo Comi became the owner of the farm which included lands, mills, houses and shops and he enlarged it day by day. In 1965 a significant moment for the Travaglino farm began: right in that year, Dott. Vincenzo Comi, who was one of the previous owner's descendents, called with the same name, took over the management of the Farm.
Thank to a unitary mangement system, essential for the creation of a complex, efficent in each of its parts an important reorganization process was started.
A year later, the Wine-cellar was enlarged: modern steel "fermentini" and barriques for the improvement of red wines were added to the oak casks. In the 80's the old tractor shed was transformed into a modern and well-equipped wine-cellar for bottling, with autoclaves and authomatic lines for packaging the wines. But it is only in the 90's that a radical and total business reorganization of the list of functions in the company took place: Mrs Maria Grazia Andreoli became the administrative manager, Mr. Tommaso Ponzanelli, the sales manager, Mr. Callegari Giuliano the technical and production manager and Dott. Fabrizio Maria Marzi a world famous wine maker, the general supervisor. The whole territory covers an area of 400 hectars, 70 of which are divided up into several plots of land, where the vineyards, located at 200-270 mt. asl, are cultivated with great care and attention.
The total production of grapes is about 550-600 tons per year, but only the rarest wines are selected accurately and only the bests must undergo vinification in order to get a production of 250.000 bottles per year, divided into different types: Riesling Italico and Renano, Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio and Moscato for wines and spumanti from white grapes and Barbera, Bonarda, Pinot Nero, Uva Rara e Cabernet Sauvignon from red grapes. The high quality of the product is due to the perfect application of the best technology in every single department of the wine-cellar. The low outputs of about 8 tons per hectare corresponding to 4000 litres/per hectares, the gentle slops of the land facing the sun and the rigour in the application of the most modern wine-making techniques are the ideal background where the perfect balance between old traditions and new productive situations is found in order to guarantee a costant qualitative improvement in the production of more and more elegant and refined wines.
The whole farm covers 480 ha, of which 80 ha are devoted to vineyards, cultivated with particular
Care and attention in various plots, at an altitude between 200 and 270 m above sea level. The total annual yield of grapes is about 5,500-6,000 quintals, producing about 250,000 bottles.
The farm produces all of the most important DOC wines from Oltrepò Pavese area, and divides production into five groups.