Town of the Oltrepò Pavese area, located in Val Staffora, Rivanazzaro is not only a thriving agricultural center, but also one of the most famous Lombard location for spa tourism. The name derives from the union of the two names of Riva and Nazzano. Formerly known as Vicus Lardarius "(place of pig rearing), it was a fief of the Malaspina and, after various vicissitudes, it belonged to the Family Rovereto, Marquis of Genoa.
Situated on a hill, the village of Nazzano is dominated by the homonymous castle, built around the year 1000 by the Malaspina and strengthened subsequently by Gian Galeazzo Visconti, who immediately recognized the strategic position: in fact, during clear and windy days, the view extends from the Maritime Alps to Monte Rosa. In the XVII century it became property of the noble family Mezzabarba of Pavia and in the XVIII century, it was ceded to the current owners, the Rovereto, which in the XX century have changed the destination of the building from a private residence to a manor. It consists of a main structure, a bulwark and a rectangular tower.
Other sites of interest, not to miss:
- The beautiful XVIII century villa of San Pietro;
- The Parish Church of San Germano (XVII century), with frescoed interiors;
- The hot springs with sulfur and salt, bromine and iodine, whose therapeutic properties were already known to the Romans.