Rivarolo Mantovano is a town in the province of Mantua, whose history is closely tied to the fate of the Gonzaga family, that settled here in 1432: the city plan was decided by Vespasian Gonzaga and is characterized by an orthogonal street grid with insulated walls and three doors regularly spaced. After being domain of the French and Austrians, in 1868, with the establishment of the Kingdom of Italy, Rivarolo Mantovano and its district of Cividale passed definitively under the dominion of the province of Mantua.
Not to miss:
- the Church of Santa Maria Annunciata, founded in 1416 at the time of Gianfrancesco Gonzaga. A few years later it was flanked by a Bell tower. In the XIX century, the façade was embellished with stucco and the structure was enlarged with the construction of a chapel. Above the central wooden portal there is a painting that depicts "the expulsion of the merchants from the temple" and in the tympanum a sculpture of the Annunciation, by Julius Protti, is inserted.
- Palazzo Penci, located on the South side of Piazza Finzi and features a typical ashlar porch;
- The Synagogue is located at the center of Piazza Finzi, on the second floor of a building that also houses the home of the rabbi;
- Piazza Giuseppe Finzi, once called Piazza Maggiore, is bordered to the North by the Praetorian Palace, South from the Palazzo Pence and surrounded by spacious porches. The Praetorian Palace is a building complex, flanked by a tower that features a preexisting clock. Fragments of old plaster and decorations of the Renaissance are still visible in the top part of the tower.