Canneto sull'Oglio is a town in the province of Modena, located along the left bank of the river Oglio, near the mouth of the Naviglio. The name derives from the lush vegetation of reeds once widespread in the area. The discovery of a Celtic necropolis, whose artifacts are exhibited in the Archaeological Museums in Rome, Milan, Asolo and Mantua, attest that the area was inhabited since ancient times. The Roman period, however, is testified by the remains of a rustic villa and a necropolis. The first works of reclamation and recovery of the territory were already taken in the VIII century by the monks of the Abbeys of St. Benedict and St. Thomas of Leno Acquanegra. In 1385 the Visconti reaffirm the privileges, exemptions administrative autonomy that the fief of Brescia had already recognized to Canneto sull'Oglio.
Of the defense complex built by the Gonzaga, remains the medieval tower gate (remnant of an ancient castle) and the stance of orthogonal streets.
Not to miss:
- the Palazzo Comunale (Town Hall), a neo-Classical artwork of G.B. Vergani, which houses the " Mortara collection " with paintings of the Lombard school 800-900 (among others: Tranquillo Cremona, Gaetano Previat and Arturo Tosi). The same building is also the seat of the Toy Museum entitled to "G. Superti Furga";
- The Parish Church of Sant'Antonio Abate, built in Gothic-Lombard style in the XIV century and remodeled in XVIII. Inside are preserved extremely valuable frescoes of the XIV and XV centuries as well as a vast repertoire of sculptures, including a Crucifix of the school of Campione, and a splendid XVII century altar of St. Joseph, with a statue of the Saint attributed to Bertesi.
- The Church of Carmine, the XVI century, with paintings from the school of the Guercino;
- The ancient Parish Church of the Annunciation, renovated in the XVI century;
- The Church of the Medulfe, of Lombard era;
- The Municipal Theater, built in 1826 by Vergani, student of Piermarini.