Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Lombardy Lombardy's River Po Casteggio

More About

Here you can find info and tips about the area you are visiting.

Most viewed in Casteggio

  • Pegazzera Wines Lombardy

    An architecturally and historically imposing building surrounded by an extraordinary vineyard, in a land where the vine brings forth precious nectar. This is how one could describe Antica Tenuta Pegazzera situated in the heart of Oltrepo Pavese, 500 mts...

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Casteggio

Description

Town of the Oltrepò Pavese area, located along the right bank of the stream Coppa, the ancient Clastidium probably had Ligurian origins. Conquered by the Romans in 223 B.C., a year later it was the scene of clashes between the Romans and Insubrian Gauls, opening thus the way to the Roman conquest of their capital, Mediolanum. After the fall of the Roman Empire, Casteggio was under the control of Pavia, remaining free from feudal lords until the XV century. In 1441 it became a fief of Cesare Martinengo and the Sforza, in 1466, ceded the fief to their minister, Angelo Simonetta, because at the time, finally, the heritage was considered also for the female heirs, so his lords often had different surnames, while the fiefs remained within the same family's possessions.
Not to miss :
- The Parish Church of St Peter Martyr, rebuilt the 800 on the structures of the early XVI century colleague. It is the work of Marchesi di Pavia and preserves inside valuable masterpieces of various artists.
- The Church of San Sebastiano, Built at the end of '500 and renovated in 1767. Admirable is the wooden choir, that dates back to 1773, by Francesco Antonio Coscia and Giovanni Carlo Clavenzani: at the center of this choir, there is a painting depicting St. Sebastian, St. Rocco, the Trinity and the Virgin by the Bibbiena, wrongly attributed previously to Bernardino Luini. The marble-domed bell tower was built in 1750, while the beautiful organ installed by the brothers Lingiardi was tested in 1841.
- Mansion Marangoni, where Albert Einstein lived between 1896 and 1899;
- Palazzo Mezzabarba;
- the Certosa of Cantù, recently restored;
- The Parish Church of the Sacred Heart (1937-41), an elegant project in Piacentina style by the architect Cesare Paleni of Bergamo.
- The Oratory of San Biagio, built in 1705 and renovated in 1982;
- The remains of the castle, that belonged to the family Versaio, who dwelt in these places since the XVIII century;
- Numerous villas, like the XIX century Villa Marina (where Giuseppe Mazzini stayed), the XVIII century Villa Pegazzera, and Villa Frecciarossa, in neo-Classical style.

Map

This town web page has been visited 24,604 times.

Choose language

italiano

english