Town in the province of Pavia, located in the middle of the Val Staffora and lower area near the river Nizza, Ponte Nizza was officially founded in 1928, joining the towns of Pizzocorno, Trebbiano Nizza and San Ponzo Semola.
Pizzocorno belonged to the Marquis of Malaspina and the Castle built here, was the residence of one of the main branches in which the Family divided, the Spino Fiorito, Lords of the valley of Staffora. Trebbiano also belonged to the Malaspina and even after the hereditary divisions, Oramala and Godiasco remained part of the fief of the Malaspina. San Ponzo was ceded to Pavia by the Kings Ugo and Lotario by an act of 943 and became the seat of an important parish, related to the Diocese of Tortona.
In the village of St. Albert of Butrio stands the abbey, a religious center governed by the rules of St. Benedict, founded by the hermit Alberto around year 1000 and grew through the donations of the Malaspina. The abbey was closed in 1810, but is still considered a precious example of medieval architecture. Near the main square, dominated by a sturdy square tower, defending the city walls, stands the church of Sant 'Antonio (with a frescoed pillar) and the church of Santa Maria, which form a single complex. These religious buildings are flanked by a third church, dedicated to St. Albert.
Site of both religious and naturalistic interest are the caves of San Ponzo, gorges carved by the erosive action of water, some of them of considerable size that have allowed the construction of a church inside. Location where the hermit San Ponzo, soldier of the Theban Legion, decided to live.