It is a town in the province of Cremona, located in a marshland, originally occupied by Lake Gerundo that, over the centuries has been reclaimed with intensive drainage works. Pandino is mentioned for the first time in an act of donation of 1186, in which Barbarossa ceded some castles, located between the Adda and the Oglio, to some nobles of Milan. In 1355 the construction of a castle was started by Bernabò Visconti, Lord of Milan, and his wife Regina Della Scala, as their hunting grounds. It is currently one of the best preserved of all the buildings that belonged to the Visconti. It features a square plan with four corner towers and a beautiful courtyard. During the XIV century the structure was fully decorated, even the stables that today are used as a library. In the XV century two castle turrets were added above the two entrances. The castle was built exactly on the border between the States of Milan and Venice.
Not to miss:
- The Oratory of Santa Marta, built in the XV century as a chapel of the castle and features a series of XIV-XVI century frescoes;
- The Parish Church of Santa Margherita, rebuilt in the XVIII century in Neoclassical style. Inside, it preserves valuable XVI century paintings, such as the "Holy Trinity" by Marcantonio Mainardi and two paintings by Andrea Mainardi.
- The Shrine of Our Lady of Rest.
Nosadello and Gradella are two districts of Pandino. Nosadella is a village of medieval origins, similar to Gradella, which was already mentioned in the X century as "castrum" with the original name of Gardella. It features typical yellow painted houses, profiled with red brick and interconnecting courtyards. The most important monuments of this village are the Church of the Holy Trinity and St. Bassiano, rebuilt in 1895, and the Manor house of the Maggi family.