Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.




you are here: Home Friuli Venezia Giulia Friuli's Hinterland Sacile

More About

Here you can find info and tips about the area you are visiting.

Most viewed in Sacile

  • Vistorta Friulan Wines

    Vistorta is a small "borgo" within an agricultural estate in the heart of Western Friuli, which has belonged to the Brandolini family since 1780. Since the 2nd Century A.D. two Roman capitals define the property's boundaries and are still testimony to...

  • Villa Ronche Friuli Wines

    Villa Ronche lies in the western portion of Friuli Venezia Giulia. Count Brandino Brandolini d'Adda has been running the winery with grit and excitement since 1988. The property covers an area of 150 hectares, of which 26 are planted with vines in the...

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail




A municipality located in the province of Pordenone, located on the border with Veneto, the historical center of Sacile is located on two islands that rise from the river Livenza. The town has a small port and is adorned with Venetian palaces that reflect their beauty in the river's water.
The discovery of some coins dating back to Imperial Ages proof the existence of a Roman settlement in the area. The center developed in the VII century on two islands, probably created by man. It was originally a strategic point for defensive purposes and in 1077 the town was incorporated into the Patriarchate of Aquileia, which granted to its inhabitants civil rights and the ability to create their own statutes. In the XII century, Sacile was subjected to siege by the troops of Treviso and Venice and in the XV century it became part of the territories subject to the domain of the Serenissima. At this time, accomplice to a great economic development, facilitated by the presence of a river port, the main centre was enriched by splendid buildings. With the fall of the Venetian Republic in 1797, ended the period of prosperity and the town submitted a period of serious economic crisis. With the Italian Restoration, the town became part of the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia and then passed to the Kingdom of Italy. The main centre suffered heavy damage during the two World Wars.

- the XV century Cathedral of St. Nicholas, built in Renaissance style, but with Gothic touches, on the ruins of an existing building. It has undergone restoration in the XX century and features a three nave plan with a main polygonal shaped apse surrounded by other rectangular shaped ones. The Sanctuary is decorated with valuable paintings. The Bell Tower, built in the XVI century, features an octagonal belfry surmounted by a spire;
- the XVII century Church of Our Lady of Mercy, a small hexagonal building, preceded by a double arcade, that seems to rise from the waters of the river;
- the Church of San Gregorio, which was built in the XIV century and expanded in the XVI. It features a mixture of Late Gothic and Renaissance styles;
- the XV century Palazzo Ragazzoni-Flangini Biglia, which preserves inside a series of frescoes of the artist Francesco Montemezzano;
- Piazza del Popolo, which is overlooked by beautiful Venetian-style palaces;
- the remains of the fortifications of the XIV century.


This town web page has been visited 32,985 times.

Choose language