Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.




you are here: Home Friuli Venezia Giulia Friuli's Hinterland Porcia

More About

Here you can find info and tips about the area you are visiting.

Most viewed in Porcia

  • San Simone Friulan Wines

    Set in the lovely expanse of its own vineyards, the San Simone estate represents a dynamic interplay between tradition and technology. All the traditions of local farm architecture are present: the red bricks of the walls, the open-timbered roof structures,...

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail




Municipality in the province of Pordenone, washed by the stream Bujon, is characterized by an interesting old medieval town center that features fine buildings.
The main center was founded between the X and the XI centuries and was mentioned for the first time in an official document in 1178. It was a district of the municipality of Prata, under the jurisdiction of several Lords, that in the XII and XIII centuries were occupied in clashes for the conquest of the territories of the region. In the XIII century, proclaimed fief of Porcia, governed by the Family with the same name, linked to the Patriarchs of Aquileia. In the XV century, the area was occupied by the troops of the Republic of Venice, despite the resistance of the local lords. La Serenissima put an end to the strife and secured the territory a period of peace and development, except during the attacks by Turkish troops and the war of the League of Cambrai, which involved even Porcia in the early XVI century. Later the town found itself involved in the Napoleonic wars and submitted the rule of the Habsburg Empire in 1815. In 1866 it was annexed into the Kingdom of Italy.

Not to miss:
- the Church of San Giorgio, which is mentioned in a document dated 1262, was rebuilt in the XVI century and enlarged in the XIX. Inside are preserved a XVII century wooden choir, an organ decorated with paintings depicting St. George and the Dragon, the Annunciation and the Conversion of St. Paul, by the artist Fischer, two altarpieces: one of the Negretti and another one by Francesco da Milano. The Bell Tower, 44 meters high, was completed in the XVI;
- the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, of which there is evidence since 1369, was rebuilt in the XVI century and restored in the XIX. Inside are preserved XVII century wooden altars and paintings of the artist Fischer, an altarpiece of the Vicentino, a XVI century wooden crucifix, XVI century frescoes of Stefanelli and a XV century wooden statue of the Madonna;
- the Church of St. Agnes, a XIII century chapel which features frescoes dating from between the XIII and XVI centuries and a XII century Byzantine cross;
- the Parish Church of St. Virgilio in Pieve, whose presence is documented since 1187, was restored in the XVII century and houses the remains of XIII century frescoes and a XVII century stoup of the artist Pavanello;
- the Church of San Martino in Palse, which preserves inside a collection of XIX century paintings by Kollman, an altarpiece of the Rosary by Gortanutti and a fresco by De Lorenzi;
- the XIII century Church of San Michele Arcangelo, which features decorative elements added in the XVIII century;
- the XIII century Chapel of St. Agnes in Roraipiccolo;
- the Castle, the residence of the Porcia Family since the XII century, it housed the Emperors Carlo V and Enrico III. The structure is the result of several renovations and restorations that have altered the original forms. Of the original building remains only the medieval tower, probably dating from the year 1000;
- Villa Correr-Dolfin, built between the XVII and XVIII centuries, adorned with frescoes in the Baroque style, is surrounded by a large park, near which flows the stream Brentella;
- the Bishop's Palazzo Novo, built in the XVII century to the design of the architect Contini, commissioned by the Bishop of Adria;
- the XVI century Palazzo del Feudo, which features a series of stucco statues;
- the XVI century Lodge of the Town Hall;
- the Tower of the Clock.


This town web page has been visited 28,133 times.

Choose language