The town's name seems to highlight the ancient origins of the town: a combination of the name of the Saint to whom the Parish Church was dedicated, and the Lombard personal name Richinvelda. Municipality in the province of Pordenone, located on the border with the district of Udine, in a plain is bounded by the river Tagliamento and the stream Meduna, near to the ski resorts of the Alps and the seaside resorts of the Adriatic Sea. The local economy is based mainly on agriculture, particularly famous is the cultivation of vines that produce great wines, like Tocai and Pinot.
The area was probably inhabited since prehistoric times. The discovery of Roman exhibits and the frequent use and presence of Latin names evidence that there was a settlement, located along the Roman road that ran along the Tagliamento River. The name San Giorgio is named for the first time in year 985. At the fall of the Roman Empire, the area was exposed to the incursions of the Barbarians and the Hungarians, and then be submitted the domain of the Patriarchate of Aquileia. In the mid XIV century, the Patriarch Bertrand of San Genesio was killed at San Giorgio. In the XV century the town was incorporated into the territories of the Serenissima Republic of Venice, then in the late XVIII century it became part of the Austrian territory, until 1866 when it became part of the Kingdom of Italy.
Not to miss:
- the Church of San Nicolò, whose construction date is uncertain, but documented for the first time in 1350. It is famous for being the tomb of Patriarch Bertrand and preserves also an altarpiece of 1497, decorated by the artist Pilacorte;
- the Church of San Leonardo in Provesano, features a late XV century cycle of frescoes of the artist Tolmezzo and a baptismal font of Pilacorte;
- the Church of Rauscedo, preserves a valuable XVI century painting, depicting the Coronation of the Virginand two fine altarpieces by Grigoletti and D'Andrea;
- the Church of Santa Sabina in Pozzo, which preserves inside a triptych of the artist Casella, representing the Madonna and Child with Saints Urbano and Sabina;
- the Parish Church of San Michele Arcangelo in Domanins, which keeps an altarpiece made by the late XVI century by the Narvesa;
- Villa Attimis in Cosa, dating from the XVI-XVII century, it is a tall building flanked by two massive towers, with a large pediment and a beautiful stairway;
- the XVI century Villa Spilimbergo in Domanins, beautifully decorated inside;
- Villa Pecile, dating from the XVIII-XIX century, features a chapel dedicated to the Holy Trinity;
- the Museum of the Rural Civilization in Pozzo, preserves a collection of numerous tools used in everyday life in the camps and during domestic activities.