The town's name derives from Latin, the composition of the word "curtis" (short) and "vadum (passage), in reference to the presence of the first farming village, built near the ford of the existing river.
Municipality in the province of Pordenone, an agricultural center located on the border with Veneto, in the western part of Friuli, near the river Tagliamento, on whose banks are present a series of mills. So beautifuI to have inspired artists such as Ippolito Nievo and Pier Paolo Pasolini. The municipal area incorporates three districts and the local economy is based on agricultural activity and industrial, handicraft, trade and service sectors.
Even though the area was inhabited since ancient times, it was colonized by the Romans, but unfortunately there are no historical documents that may be helpful for the reconstruction of the events before the medieval era. The first settlement was built near a ford of the river, a vast agglomeration of rural houses with agricultural traditions. The main center was intersected by the passage of a major artery that connected Italy to Austria and Germany. On request of Bishop, the town was fortified and became an important ecclesiastical, civil and military center. Shortly after, Cordovado became a famous center of pilgrimage, thanks to the miraculous apparition of the Virgin Mary, which occurred in 1592, and the subsequent construction of the sanctuary in the XVII century.
Not to miss:
- the XVII century Shrine of Our Lady of Grace, an octagonal shaped building in Baroque style. Inside it preserves a beautiful wooden ceiling sculptured by Venturini, gilded and painted by the artist Ferrara. There are also artworks of Carneo, d'Anna, Zaniberti, Apollon and Moretto and stucco decorations of Dall' Aquila, an altar in marble of Carrara, sculptured by Del Grassi and Comin;
- the late XVII century Church of Sant'Antonio Abate in Saccudello, which features a very simple façade, a contemporary XVIII century altar with an altarpiece and a wooden sculpture depicting St. Nicholas;
- the XIV century Oratory of Santa Caterina, which was decorated by various artists between the XIV and the XVI centuries. Inside is preserved a XIX century altarpiece, a XVII century painting of the artist De' Soldi and an XVIII century sculpture of the Holy Family;
- the XVII century Church of St. Urbano, which features an altar of 1741, an altarpiece depicting the Last Supper, created by Giuseppe Buzzi, and a valuable XVIII century painting, artwork of a Venetian artist;
- the XV century Church of St. Andrew, which has been enlarged with the addition of two aisles. In the presbytery and the apse, there are still present the original decorations in Renaissance style of the artists Tolmezzo and Martini. The side altars feature XVI century paintings of De Gobbis;
- the Church of San Girolamo in Castello, which is assumed to have been built in the XIV century. Inside it preserves a XVII century wooden altar and traces of a XV century fresco;
- the XVII century Church of Our Lady in Campagna, built on a pre-existing XV century construction;
- the XVIII century Convent of the Dominicans, whose properties were sold privately a century later and transformed into noble residences: Palazzo Cecchini, Palazzo Mainardi, Palazzo Marzin. The interior is decorated with frescoed ceilings;
- the XVII century Villa Freschi in Madonna di Campagna, which originally was a Franciscan friars convent;
- the XVII century Palazzo Freschi-Piccolomini, which was originally the residence of the Bishop of Concordia;
- Palazzo Agricola and Palazzo Bozza-Marrubini, both built in the XVI century in Renaissance style with three-light windows and several porches;
- the XVI century Palazzo Beccaris-Nonis;
- Palazzo Cappellari, originally built in 1700, but renovated several times in later periods;
- the XIX century Palazzo Soppelsa;
- the XVIII century Palazzo Marzin;
- the XVIII century Palazzo Aliprandi;
- the XVII century Villa Segalotti;
- Villa Provedoni.
- the Castle, built by the Bishops of Concordia around the XI century, was demolished in the mid XIX century. Today remain only parts of the exterior: the moat, the walls, an ancient bridge and two towered gateways.