Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.




you are here: Home Friuli Venezia Giulia Friuli's Hinterland Colloredo di Monte Albano


Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

More About

Here you can find info and tips about the area you are visiting.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail


Colloredo di Monte Albano


The first part of the town's name for some historians derives from the word "colyleti (thickets of avellana), while for others from "corylus" (hazel). The second part of the name "Albano of Waldsee" honors the founder of the dynasty that settled here. It is a municipality in the province of Udine, at the centre of the Friuli region, located between the moraine hills and whose territory stretches from Monte Ragogna to the hills of Tarcento. From its privileged location it is possible to admire a landscape characterized by frequent deep depressions created by the waters of the rivers over the centuries. The town is linked to Ippolito Nievo, that in the XIX century, spent here several years of his life.
The discovery of various findings made it possible to assume that a settlement was present in the area since ancient times, even though there is no attested evidence of this, before the Middle Ages. The larger centers of Colloredo, Mels and Caporiacco were founded with the support of the Patriarch of Aquileia by local noble families. In the XIII century, Colloredo was ceded in fief to the Visconti di Mels, who started to battle against the Patriarchs, the Counts of Gorizia, the Caminero, the Savorgnan and the Torriani. In the XV century the town submitted the rule of the Venetian Republic la Serenissima. During the following years, the town shared the same fate and historical events of the other localities of the Region. Extensive damage, to the heritage and history, were caused by the disastrous earthquake of 1976.

- the Parish Church of San Lorenzo in Caporiacco was built in 1900, where once stood an existing church, of which some elements have been reused to build the new one. Today it features a façade in Gothic style, an XVIII century altar and an altarpiece, artwork of the artist Buzzi, in 1717, depicting the Madonna del Rosario;
- the Parish Church of Saints Andrew and Matthew, built in the XIV century and houses some XVIII century shrines in Baroque style, a painted bezel by Diziani, a wooden crucifix of the XV century. The Bell Tower dates back to 1759;
- the XIII century Church of San Pietro, which preserves a cycles of frescoes, depicted between the XV and XVI centuries;
- the Church of the Saints Ilario and Taziano, of which the date of the construction is uncertain, but mentioned in a document of the XIV century;
- the Church of St. Anthony of Padua in Laibacco, which was founded in the late XIV century;
- the Church of San Martino in Caporiacco and completed in 1642;
- the XI century Church of Sant'Andrea in Mels;
- the Church of San Rocco in Lauzzana;
- the Castle of Colloredo, which was built with the permission of the Patriarch of Aquileia by the Baron William of Waldsee, Viscount of Mels, in the early years of the XIV century for defensive purposes. Directly involved in the feudal struggles, the building was remodeled and decorated with frescoes of Giovanni from Udine and lost slowly lost the appearance of a fortress to be transformed into a nobleman's residence;
- the remains of a medieval castle in Caporiacco. The manor, which already existed in the XIV century, was burned down and rebuilt, destroyed again in 1351, it was occupied by the Venetian troops in the XV century. In the XVI century it was sacked and finally destroyed by an earthquake in the same period. Of the original building remain only parts of walls;
- the XII century Tower of Mels presents a square planned building and is what remains of the old castle.


This town web page has been visited 27,385 times.

Choose language