Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Friuli Venezia Giulia Friuli's Hinterland Udine

Most viewed in Udine

  • Comelli Friulan Wines and Accommodation

    Our winery is located in the "Colli Orientali del Friuli" Controlled Denomination of Origin area. It stretches over 14 hectares of vineyards in the hills, protected by the Prealps to the north and exposed to the positive atmospheric effects of the Adriatic...

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Udine

Description

Capital of historical region of Friuli, the area was inhabited since the Neolithic Ages, even though its major fortune was due thanks to the decline of Aquileia first and of Cividale later. In 1420 it became part of Venetian Republic as the second major city for relevance and prestige.

A bright and dynamic city of Art, Udine finds its location half way between the sea and the mountains. Piazza della Libertà (Liberty square), considered "the most beautiful Venetian square on the mainland", is where it is possible to admire the Loggia del Lionello, a superb example of the Venetian Gothic style and the small Temple of San Giovanni (Saint John).

A castle built on a hill in the district, today a Civic Museum, is famous for its Parliament Hall with fresco wall paintings of the artists: Tiepolo, Grassi and Pomponio Amalteo.

The first real town square was Piazza Matteotti, where, at the centre, there is a fountain designed in 1543 by Giovanni da Udine, an apprentice of Raffaello.

The Cathedral, a majestic church with the shape of a Latin Cross. After the structural changes made in '700 and the restore works throughout the early years of '900, the façade re-proposes its original layout of '300. Built, near to the Cathedral, the Oratory of the Purità con 'Assunta, one of the masterpieces of the artist "Tiepolo", who left traces of his great artistic mood also in the Archbishop's Palace, which hosts the Diocesan Museum.

A visit to the Gallery of Modern Art is suggested, where important collections of the '800 and '900 are on exhibit. The Gallery and the central Church of Saint Francesco both have continuously important exhibitions on display.

Map

This town web page has been visited 61,795 times.

Choose language

italiano

english