Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.




you are here: Home Friuli Venezia Giulia Friuli's Hinterland Tarvisio


Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail




The city's name probably derives from the name of Celtic tribe that inhabited, for first, the area: the "Taurisci".
Municipality in the province of Udine, situated in Upper Val Canale, in the countryside, not far from the stream Slizza, Tarvisio is located on the border with Austria and Yugoslavia. The district is composed of a number of villages and is a popular and well known Summer and winter holidays resort. Departure point for memorable excursions to the two lakes of Fusine, located on the border with Yugoslavia, the Sella of Camporosso, from where springs the Fella, which geographically traces the border of the Italian territories, and to the XIV century Sanctuary of Monte Lussari. Since the second half of the XV century here takes place an annual trade fair.
The main city center, which was originally inhabited by a population of Celts, developed under the Roman domain. In the medieval period it became a possession of the Bishops of Bamberga. At the time, the extraction and processing of iron was intensified and this gave way to remarkable development of the local economy. In the XV century, the town was invaded and plundered by the Turks and later, in the XVIII century, it was directly involved in the War of Gradisca. During the Napoleonic wars, Tarvisio was scenario of clashes between the French and Austrian troops. In 1919 it became part of territories of the Kingdom of Italy.

Not to miss:
- the Parish Church of Saints Peter and Paul, dating from the XV century, has been renovated several times over the centuries. The façade, simple and wide, is adorned with a huge fresco depicting Saint Christopher, a rose window and is preceded by an arcade featuring Gothic arches. Inside are preserved XVI century statues, frescoes of the XV and XVI centuries and XVIII century paintings representing Saints and Angels. The Bell Tower, located behind the church, features a square base plan building;
- the Sanctuary of Monte Lussari, located at almost 1800 meters above sea level, is a well-known place of pilgrimage since medieval times. Its location offers an exceptional panorama and in the nearby there is an important ski resort;
- the Lake of Predel;
- the ravine of the Slizza.


This town web page has been visited 21,273 times.

Choose language