Municipality in the province of Gorizia, located in the plain of the Collio, at the slopes of Mount Quarin, near the border with Slovenia, the town's territory is divided into 2 districts: Borgnano and Brazzano. It is famous and appreciated for the extraordinary quality of wines, produced in the surrounding countryside.
It has pre-Roman origins and was a military camp during the colonization of the Romans. At the fall of the Empire, there was a lack of order and security, the area was easy prey for the Barbarian invaders. In 610 came the turn of the Lombards, who were responsible for the fortification of the center, while in the Middle Ages, it was the seat of the Patriarchs of Aquileia. Thanks to its privileged position, on the main road to Gorizia, it was the subject of dispute between the Patriarchs and the Counts of Gorizia, that in the XIII century were able to have it granted in fief. In the XV century, the city obtained its own statutes and until World War I it was subject to the Habsburg domain, with the exception of the period when it was occupied by the Serenissima and the Napoleonic army.
Not to miss:
- the Cathedral of St. Adalberto, located overlooking the old town center, is preceded by a large staircase. The façade, defined by four columns, features niches with statues and is surmounted by a pediment. In the adjoining Vicarage, there are preserved some remarkable examples of religious art;
- the Basilica of San Giovanni is attested in documents dating back to 1093 and of the original church, there are still visible traces. The present building of the XV century, is of extremely simple manufacture with a pointed arch door and a rosette window. Frescoes of the XIV and XV centuries adorn the sides of the arch dividing the chancel from the nave;
- the Church of Santa Maria, also known as of Santa Apollonia is located in the district with the same name. It was mentioned in a document dated 1319. The façade is very simple with an ogival portal and a mullioned window with a belfry. Within, of the original frescoes, remain only a valuable XVI century painting of San Sebastian of the artist Graffico and a series of faded figures attributable to the school of Pordenone;
- the Church of Christ of Subida, located in the middle of a wood of acacia trees and built in 1597. It appears preceded by a portico surmounted by a belfry and a mullioned window. Within is preserved an XVIII century altar sculptured by Lazzaroni in Venetian Baroque style and an XVIII century painting;
- the Church of Our Lady of Salvation, which is located near the peak of Mount Quarin and was built in 1636 to replace the Parish of St. Peter's, demolished a century earlier. The façade is in late Renaissance style with a pediment and within it preserves a wooden altar dating from the XVII century, an altarpiece depicting the Madonna and Child, attributed to Buonvicino. The massive church Bell Tower with a square base is divided into five frames and each frame is interrupted by mullioned windows, the whole structure is surmounted by a tambour;
- the Church of Santa Caterina;
- the Church of San Leopoldo;
- Palazzo Tacco-Aita;
- Palazzo Locatelli;
- Palazzo Nuhaus;
- the remains of the Castle on Mount Quarin.