Palmanova is a municipality in the province of Udine, a city-fortress that is considered an urban jewel for the perfection of its structure. It was built by Venetian architects, who wanted to create the ideal city: the village comprises a nine-pointed star and is characterized by a continuous repetition of the number three, the perfect number. From the central square, of hexagonal shape is crossed by six branch roads, three of which correspond to as so many main entrance doors that interrupt the continuity of the walls, beyond which no building creates a significant interruption in the perfection of geometric figure . Inside the first ring of fortifications lie nine wedge-shaped bastions. The city also features a second defensive wall, located more externally, built in Napoleonic times. Even within the blocks of houses make trapezoidal shapes, intersected by roads.
Founded by the Republic of Venice in 1593 and designed by two military experts, Martinengo and Sarvognan, the city was completed in the early XVII century by the architect Scamozzi. The function that was assigned to Palmanova was of a garrison defense of the Eastern border of the territory from the Turks. The city was occupied by the troops of Napoleon, who had the defensive system re-inforced and entitled it with the current name. Later it was under the Austrian rule for nearly fifty years until it was incorporated into the Kingdom of Italy in 1866.
- the Cathedral, built in 1602, is an example of Venetian architecture. Preceded by a staircase, it features three main entrances, while the façade, divided on two floors, is embellished with columns, niches and statues, while the whole building is surmounted by a tympanum. It is flanked by a belfry tower which is characterized by two lights mullioned windows. It consists of a single nave plan with three chapels and four side altars. Inside is preserved an altarpiece depicting the Annunciation, artwork of the artist Randi, and a small wooden Madonna attributed to Domenico of Tolmezzo;
- the octagonal shaped Church of San Francesco, built in the early XVII century, was transformed by the French to military purposes and in the late XVIII century was used as a hospital;
- the Palace of General Superintendents, which today is seat of the City Hall;
- Porta Udine, Porta Aquileia, Porta Cividale, the three main entrances to the city, built in the XVII century and based on designs of Vincenzo Scamozzi;
- the Historical Museum;
- the Museum of Military History.