The town of Vimodrone is crossed by the stream Martesana and is located East of Milan, which is connected to by the Metro line. The town's name derives from the Latin "Vicus Modronis" village of Mutrone (the Roman name of a person). Formerly called Vico Modrone, referring to a famous branch of the ducal family of the Visconti, family to whom belonged also the famous Italian film director Luchino Visconti.
Among the religious buildings worth of mention:
- the Parish of San Remigio, built in honour of St. Carlo Borromeo for his pastoral visit in January 1572. The present building, in Romanesque-Lombard style, dates back to 1779 and was expanded in the XX century.
- the Chapel of the Blessed Virgin, dating back to 1400 and attributed to architect Giangiacomo Dolcebuono. Nearby is located the XVI century oratory of Santa Maria Nuova, which preserves inside frescoes by the artist Luini.