Cologno Monzese is an important center of Milan, located at just 10km from Milan, born as "mansio" Roman (coach stop) in 333 A.D., in the late-Imperial period. The town's name, in fact, until the year 1000 was a "colonia super Lambrum", because it was built on the left side bank of the River Lambro. After the fall of the Roman Empire and the subsequent barbarian invasions, the territory fell under the dominion of the Lombards. After a reorganization of the fiefs, in the XIX century the territory of Cologno was ceded to the noble Lombard family of Leopegidi. After the attacks by Arabs and Hungarians, in 896, the locals built a strong network of defensive walls around the main centre, turning the town into a "castrum".
Cologno Monzese, today, is one of the most important centers in the tertiary sector of telecommunications.
Not to miss:
- The Parish Church of San Giuliano, the oldest monument in the city, built in the VI century and later rebuilt in Romanesque-Lombard. Inside the building preserves elements of different eras, including a painting of "The Crowning of Thorns," attributed to the school of Tiziano and an organ of the Amato company (1802).
- The Monastery of St. Ambrose, owned by the monks since the X century. A part of the monastery was later used as a textile mill, becoming, in fact, one of the first "industries" in Cologne, where they were processed the cocoons of silkworms.
- The ancient Church of St Mark and Gregory, currently used for exhibitions, conferences and concerts. It stands on the lands that belonged to the Monastery of Saint Ambrose in 1600 and purchased by the heirs the Besozzi. The current building is of the XVII century and developed by incorporating the existing structure of the Middle Ages.
- The Church of San Maurizio al Lambro, built in 1905 and enlarged in 1939.
- Numerous villas, belonging to the nobility of Milan (Villa Casati, built on a former convent, Villa Cacherano of Osasco, Villa Sormani and Villa Citterio).