Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Lombardy Milan Surroundings Legnano

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Legnano

Description

Town located in upper area of Milan, not far from the city itself and crossed the river Olona. Although the city has very ancient origins, evidenced by the discovery of several archaeological artifacts dating to 2000-1800 B.C., along with others of the Gallic and Roman eras, Legnano officially enters the history books on May 29, 1176 when in the countryside surrounding the village, the army of the Lombard Lords, allies in the League, battled with the troops of Frederick Barbarossa, forcing the latter to abandon their lands. The event is remembered every year in May, since the late Middle Ages, during the Sagra del Carroccio (the Carroccio was the sacred carriage used in battle by troops of the Lombard League).

Among the many sites of interest:
- The Castle of St. George, whose presence is documented since 1231. It is built on an old Augustinian convent, complete with a chapel dedicated to St George attached. It belonged to the Torriani, the Visconti and the Lampugnani. It passed, then, to the Maggiore Hospital of Milan, the Marquis di Cristoforo Cornaggia and finally to the City of Legnano.
- The XVI century Basilica of San Magno, built by Giovanni Amadeo, inside preserves a precious altar of Bernardino Luini;
- The Sanctuary of the Madonna delle Grazie, built where once stood a small chapel of the XVI, after a miracle of the Madonna on two deaf children;
- The Church of St. Ambrose, the oldest church in the city, already mentioned in a list created in 1389 by Goffredo from Bussero;
- The Church of Santa Maria Maddalena (1728);
- The Church of the Holy Redeemer opened in 1902;
- The Church of St. John the Baptist, the most recent church built in Legnano, inaugurated in the seventies;
- The Church of Saint Erasmus, whose history is linked to the hospice probably founded by Bonvesin de la Riva, Lombard poet and writer of the XIII century;
- The Church of the Holy Magi (XVIII century);
- The Church of San Martino, dating from the XV century;
- The Church of Santa Rita (or purification), which dates back to 1584 when Cardinal Borromeo consecrated this building to a religious one for the inhabitants of the district of Legnarello;
- The Shrine of Our Lady of the Orphans, built in 1950.

Map

This town web page has been visited 33,453 times.

Choose language

italiano

english