Town of the Lower Brianza area, located between the province of Monza and Brianza. Cesano Maderno is located north of Milan and consists of a center and six districts: Binzago, Villaggio Snia, Sacra Famiglia, Cascina Gaeta, Molinello and Cassina Savina. The name "Cesano Maderno" probably derives from a proper name of person "Cisius. The attribute of "Maternus, however, would indicate that the original settlement of Cesano belonged to the mother of this person.
In medieval times Cesano was a fief that belonged to the Milanese Monastery of Orono, to whom the locals honored periodical taxes. The discontent of the citizens soon led to a revolt, that in 1228, ended with a clash with the troops of Milan, that came to the aid of the monastery, thus, re-establish its jurisdiction over the land. In the early XVI century the feud was ceded to Antonio Carcassola; who sold the rights, in 1538, to Bartolomeo Arese together with the territories of Camnago, Limbiate, Meda, Mombello and Seveso. In the second half of the XVII century, Cesano was ruled by the Borromeo-Arese family after the marriage of Giulia Arese with Renato Borromeo. During the Spanish domination and the next Austrian government, the Borromeo-Arese family retained the fief until the advent of Napoleon Bonaparte. In the Napoleonic era, Cesano followed the same history and events of Milan: therefore, it became part of the Cisalpine Republic and then of the Kingdom of Italy and, with the restoration after the Congress of Vienna, part of the Kingdom of Lombardy-Veneto.
Not to miss:
- Palazzo Arese-Borromeo, a typical example of a noble residence of representation with a serious scenographic effect. The construction, begun in 1650 by Bartolomeo Arese, the center of the façade features a monumental portal surmounted by wrought-iron balconies.
- Palazzo Arese-Jacini, dating from the sixteenth century, the current council offices.
- The Torrazzo, dating from the XIII century, is a fortified tower, and presents the remains of an extensive system of fortifications, that were used to guard the river Seveso.
- The Sanctuary of Santa Maria delle Grazie, also known as the Madonna della Frasca, located in the village of Binzago and dating from the XIII century;
- The Old Church of Santo Stefano, dating back to 1600 and preserves some remarkable frescoes on its walls. It was expanded in 1888, but after a few decades it became insufficient to hold the faithful during the services. The old church, no longer used for worship, is often used for cultural events like classical concerts and art exhibitions.
- The New Church of Santo Stefano, designed by Chiappani, was consecrated in 1937.