Cerro Maggiore is a town in the province of Milan, situated at 25km from Milan. Despite the strong urbanization, it is rich of large spaces and gardens. The name derives from the Latin word "cerrus" (Cerro).
The discovery of pagan and Christian tombs reveal that the village has ancient origins. During the Middle Ages it was part of the county of Seprio, and was involved in 1176 in the Battle of Legnano. The district of Cantalupo had an autonomous history, as since 1288 it was linked to a Benedictine nunnery, whose properties were ceded in 1790 to the family Belinzaghi, and shortly later the administration of Cerro Maggiore.
Among the monuments and buildings of greater value, not to miss:
- The Parish Church of Saints Cornelius and Cyprian, designed in the XVIII century by the architect of Milan, Giovanni Antonio Caslini;
- The XVIII century Sanctuary of Borretta;
- The Church of the Visitation at the Capuchin Convent, which was rebuilt during the XX century. The corpse of Benito Mussolini was hidden here until 30 August 1957;
- The Church of San Bartolomeo, in the village of Cantalupo, mentioned as a rural church in the parish archives of the XVII century;
Among the most attractive places of the countryside to visit is the park of Villa Water, with an area of 10000 square meters, built around 1850. It is predominantly structured in an English style and in recent years it has been open to the public and equipped with a play area for children. The villa dating from around 1830, is seat to the cultural and civic center and a town library.