Town in the province of Milan, located 12km northwest of Milan, Nerva is located along the ancient consular road del Verbano and crossed the river Olona, by the river Bozzente and the canal Villoresi. The Roman origins of the village are confirmed not only by the suffix "anus", but also by some archaeological traces dating back to the I-II century A.D., found in 1958 in the district of San Lorenzo Costa. In the Middle Ages it was the center of a series of churches along the banks of the Olona. In the feudal periods Nerviano, shared the same political events with the nearby Milan and was theatre of bitter struggles between the Visconti and the Torriani and also of an internal feud of the Visconti Family. In the XV and XVI centuries, Nerviano suffered the same political and military consequences of the historical events of the Duchy of Milan.
In the period of the Spanish rule, the fiefs of Nerviano and Garbatola were ceded to Marsilio Fossati and subsequently in 1669, it was sold to the captain Prosper Crivelli and then, in 1697, to the Count Don Gaspar Prospero Po. At the beginning of the XVIII century to the mid of the next century, except for the short period of Napoleonic rule, the entire Lombard region submitted the Austrian rule and Nerviano followed the same fate.
Not to miss:
- The Tower of Nerviano, in littorio style, was inaugurated on November 12th, 1933. It is a structure of considerable size, built in a rectangular shape, flanked by a Bell Tower, which features an electronic siren and a Civic bell. The basement ends with a monolith stone with an inscription praising the Fascist regime;
- The Chapel of Good Counsel, built in 1883 from a design by Jacopo Cardella;
- The Parish Church of St. Stephen, built in the XIX century, replacing the previous church, which was too small to hold all the faithful. The original structure was built in the Romanesque style (XIII century), with a Renaissance-style Bell Tower. During the construction of the new parish, a medieval cemetery was found. Inside the building preserves a precious organ De Simoni-Carrera.
- The Abbey of Colorina, founded in 1478, was already an existing chapel in 1398, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception;
- The Church of Our Lady of the Annunciation, also known as the Rotondina, an old rural church now completely urbanized.