Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Lombardy Milan Surroundings Cusago

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Cusago

Description

Municipality located in the outskirts of Milan, within the lands of the South Agricultural Park. From a geographical point of view, Cusago is part of the greater Milan and features large green areas and cultivated fields.
The discovery of polished stone axe, dating from the III-II millennium B.C., confirms that the area was inhabited since ancient times. The Celts, that already lived in the area, in the II century B.C., were defeated by the Romans, whose presence is confirmed by the names: Cusago, which according to some, is the result of the use of a person's proper name "Cusius", and Monzoro, one of the districts, which derives from the genitive plural of "Montius", "Montiorum".
The settlement Cusago is mentioned for the first time in a document of the Lombards of 902, the "Placito degli Arimanni".

Not to miss:
- the Visconti Castle, built by Bernabo Visconti between 1360 and 1369. The remains of an ancient Lombard fortification, which was inhabited for long periods by the Lords of Milan, who sheltered here with their whole court, during the epidemic periods, that often hit the city, but also as a hunting residence.
- the Parish Church of Saints Fermo and Rustico, inside which are preserved the remains of St. Vincent, a Roman martyr, donated by Pope Alexander VIII. Outstanding are the frescoes and paintings, a group loigneo and an organ of 1854 of the workshop of the prison.
- the Church of Santa Maria Rossa, dating from the second half of the XIV century, which features a typical gabled façade and belonged to the order of Hermits of St. Augustine. Its frescoes are partly preserved in the Castello Sforzesco in Milan.
- the Church of San Francesco in Monzoro, also called Santa Maria Nascente, was built in the last decades of the XVII century and rebuilt in 1815 in a Neoclassical style.
- the farms, ancient rural settlements in the territory of Cusago, and numerous famous water spring fountains (Cristina, Branzino, Oronella, Maracavallo, Naviglietto and Testa Lunga).

Map

This town web page has been visited 26,042 times.

Choose language

italiano

english