Municipality in the province of Ancona, a seaside resort at the foot of Mount Conero, divided into two districts: Numana Alta (the area of the old town center, located near to the sea, very near to the town of Sirolo, creating a sort of unique housing area) and Numana Bassa (which includes the new touristic port and a long beach). The area is washed by the river Musone, which creates at its mouth, a wetland of great importance.
The area was originally inhabited by the Piceno and in a following period the Dorians settled here and created an important trading center. In 295 B.C., the area was colonized by the Romans and was proclaimed Municipium. After the fall of Western Roman Empire, the town was conquered by the Lombards and later ceded to the Papal States by Charlemagne. In the Middle Ages, under the domain of the Pope the town grew significantly, becoming also an important cultural center. In 1860, after the famous battle of Castelfidardo, Numana was incorporated into the Kingdom of Italy.
Thanks to its pleasant climate, the beautiful beaches and the crystal clear water of its sea, today, Numana is a famous touristic resort, but was already appreciated in the XIX century. Once district of the nearby town of Sirolo, the town gained its independence in 1928.
- the Sanctuary of the Crucifi, which was rebuilt in the second half of the XX century, in place of a previous structure of the XVII century, of which were recovered some frescoes by the artist Lilli. It houses a wooden crucifix which is assumed to have been a gift, offered to Pope Leo III by Charlemagne;
- the Palace of the Bishops, which was originally owned by the Roman nobility, later by the Bishops of Ancona, at present is the seat of the Town Hall;
- the Antiquarium, an exhibition of burial treasures, found in the tombs of the ancient Piceno tribes and the Romans;
- the Aqueduct, which dates back to the period of the Roman colonization, still functional;
- the Arco di Torre, the remains of an ancient watchtower.