Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Marche Marche's Coast Fermo

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Fermo

Description

Fermo is the capital of its province, situated on a hill that separates the valleys Ete Vivo and Tenna. At the center of the city stands the old main center, dominated by the cathedral and surrounded by the remains of its fortified walls, which has typical features of medieval urban layout with narrow, winding streets, and entire districts built on the slopes that bring to the sea. In the last century, the city has become a modern seaside resort with fully equipped beaches, such as those in Marina Palmense and Lido di Fermo.
The nearby hill of Sabulo was inhabited since prehistoric times, a stable settlement, built by the Piceni, was already present here between the IX and the IV centuries B.C.. Already, at this time, the inhabitants traded with Etruria and the Illyrian-Danube regions. Subsequently, it became a fortified acropolis and caves in the hill side were converted into homes. The territory was colonized by the Romans in 268 B.C., gaining a significant position in the Imperial era. At present the typical structure of the "castrum" is still legible by the main road articulation. In the early Middle Ages, Fermo was conquered by the Lombards and incorporated into the Duchy of Spoleto, until in 1199, it was proclaimed municipality, leading to significant population and economic growth, thanks to trade facilitated by the possession of an access to the sea, today known as Porto San Giorgio. Thereafter, until the XVI century, the city was subjected to various Lords, including the Sforza: Not happy of this domain, the inhabitants allied with the Papal States, losing all the autonomy established up till then. The mayor was replaced by a governor appointed by the Pope and the city lost several trading connections with the northern regions of the peninsula. It slowly entered into a period of recession, that ended in the XVIII century, thanks to the opening of the nearby toll free port of Ancona. Later, Fermo submitted the Napoleonic conquest and subsequently the events that affected the entire region.

Attractions:
- the Cathedral, which stands on the esplanade of Girfalco, built in the XIII century, was remodeled in the XVIII century and preserves the original Istrian stone façade, built under the direction of Mastro Giorgio da Como. It is characterized by great simplicity and asymmetry. The rich portal in Istrian stone features a bronze door entrance, artwork of the artist Sergiacomo, surmounted by a canopy. The Bell Tower, high and extremely robust, is incorporated into the structure, interrupted by two orders of mullioned windows and surmounted by a cylindrical spire. The three-nave interior is driven by a
complicated play of perspectives. Inside, the chasuble of St Thomas of Canterbury and the tomb of Giovanni Visconti di Tura, as well as important works of art, including Greek-Byzantine icon of year 1000 and the remains of a mosaic floor of the V century;
- the Church of San Francesco, which was built between the XIII and XV century, whose façade was rebuilt in the XVIII century, encompassing the XVII century portal. Inside frescoes have been recently recovered;
- the Church of St. Augustine, built between the XIII - XIV centuries, in which it is possible to admire the old Gothic structure with frescoes dating from the period between the XIII and XV centuries;
- the Church of San Pietro, built in mid XIII century, together with the adjoining Monastery of the Farfensi and restored by the end of the XV century;
- the Collegiate Church of San Michele Arcangelo dating from the XIII century and enlarged at the end of the XVI century;
- the Church of Saint Lucia, which was built in the XIII century and rebuilt in the XIX century;
- the early XVII century Church of the Pieta;
- the Church of Santa Caterina, erected in 1226;
- the Church of San Filippo;
- the Church of the Carmine;
- the XVI century Monastery of the Poor Clares;
- the XV century Oratory of Santa Monica;
- the XV century Palazzo Fogliani;
- Palazzo dei Priori, whose construction began in the late XIII century and whose central balcony is enhanced by the XVII century bronze statue of Pope Sixtus V. It houses the Art Gallery with paintings and tablets of the artists Jacobello di Bonomo, Jacobello del Fiore, Pagani, Lanfranco, Kail, a series of Flemish tapestries and a Nativity scene by Rubens;
- the Governor's palace, built in the early decades of the XVI century and to which was added a storey in 1816. The ground floor is seat of the Antiquarium, which houses a rich collection of exhibits from the Prehistoric Ages to the Lombard domination period;
- the Archbishop's Palace, whose construction began in 1391 and was restored in the XV and XVIII centuries;
- the XVI century Palazzo degli Studi, which is seat, since 1688, of the University and its Library;.
- the Fortress of Girfalco, completed in 1236, renovated at a later date by Francesco Sforza;
- the XVIII century Aquila Theatre, whose ceiling is decorated by a large fresco of Cochetti;
- Palazzo Azzolino built and designed by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger in the XVI century;
- The XIX century Villa Vinci, enriched by a lush exotic garden;
- Palazzzo Vitali built in the XVIII century, designed by the famous architect Vanvitelli;
- the former Palazzo Monte di Pietà of the XIV century;
- the Loggia of San Rocco, built in 1528;
- the XIII century Tower Matteucci;
- the XVIII century Palazzo Catalani;
- the XVIII century Palazzo Erioni;
- Palazzo Monsignani-Sassatelli;
- Palazzo Paccarone;
- Palazzo Bonafede;
- Palazzo Maggiori.

Map

This town web page has been visited 38,116 times.

Choose language

italiano

english