Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.




you are here: Home Marche Marche's Coast Porto San Giorgio


Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail


Porto San Giorgio


In the province of Fermo, situated on the border with the territory of its provincial capital, to which it is connected by the via Pompeiana, Porto San Giorgio is a town located on the Adriatic coast, not far from the Sibillini mountain range. It is a seaside resort, famous for its mild climate that attracts tourists all year round. Rich in culture, the town homes various exhibitions of art, literature and music, and also retains a rich culinary tradition.
The town developed as the port area of the nearby city of Fermo and traded with Venice. Under the protection of this neighboring city, with whom it had a symbiotic relationship, except for some episodes of short conflict, it was known as "Portus Firmi" till the Middle Ages. In the XI century, the centre assumed the name of Castel San Giorgio. In the second half of the next century the town was incorporated into the Capitolo (county) of Fermo and was fortified with the construction of fortified walls, to defend it against the Turkish invasions. In the second half of the XIV century the walls were strengthened by order of Giovanni Visconti. In the XVII century, Porto San Giorgio experienced a period of great development, until in 1749 it was invaded by Spanish and German troops. During the Napoleonic domination, the center was detached from Fermo and experienced a certain autonomy. Later the town was assigned to the Papal States until the Unification of Italy.

- the Church of San Giorgio, built in 1830 in Neoclassical style and features a three nave plan;
- the Cemetery Church, which inside preserves a XVI century panel depicting the Crucifixion;
- the Rocca (fortress) of Tiepolo, built in the XIII century with a defensive function against enemy incursions, commissioned by the mayor of Fermo Lorenzo Tiepolo, it features a solid structure with battlements and a watchtower with corbels. At present It hosts important cultural events;
- Villa Bonaparte, named so because commissioned by Jerome Bonaparte, who lived here for a while. The construction dates back to the early XIX century and was designed the architect Aleandri. Surrounded by a beautiful park, it is in Neoclassical style;
- the Town Hall, which houses an XVIII century masterpiece of the artist Gandolfi;
- the remains of the fortified walls;
- the Gothic arch;
- the Theatre.


This town web page has been visited 44,155 times.

Choose language