The first part of the town's name honors the hero "Falcone", a Roman centurion under the command of General Belisarius, to whom the Emperor Justinian assigned the area where currently Falconara is located, as a reward for having actively participated in the defeat of the Goths. The second part of the name refers to the maritime position occupied by the main center. Municipality in the province of Ancona, whose districts adjoin to those of the nearby regional capital, is located along the coast, the Gulf of Ancona and features a beautiful beach of fine sand and, today, is a popular seaside resort with equipped facilities and hotels.
The first settlement was built around the castle of the Accounts Cortesi, which dominated over a vast territory. The first news of the village are attested in documents dating from 1225, a time when the feudal lords were compelled to seek the support of the city of Ancona to better protect themselves from their enemies. The territory of the Cortesi was, therefore, merged into the County of Ancona, but at the same time, the inhabitants tried to retain, in some way, their independence. During the Fascist period Falconara lost its autonomy finding itself merged with the nearby regional capital. It regained its autonomy in 1948.
- the Church of Santa Maria della Misericordia, which was built in the XV century by the Accounts Ferretti. Constructed in late Romanesque style, it features a very simple exterior and its façade is divided only by two narrow lancet windows, almost like slits and topped by a gabled roof topped with a Bell Tower. Inside it preserves frescoes of the XIV century;
- the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie;
- the Church of Santa Maria di Loreto;
- the Church of S. Lorenzo, built in the second half of the XVI century and restructured in the XIX century;
- the Church of Santa Maria del Rosario;
- the Church of St. Anthony of Padua, built in the '30s, it featurs three naves, several altars and valuable artworks;
- the Castle of Rocca Priore with its loopholes and drawbridge. It originally had a defensive function against enemy attacks, in the second half of the XVIII century, the Marquis Trionfi transformed it into a private residence;
- the Villa of Monte Domini, which was built by the Accounts of Ferretti in the XVI century;
- Castelferretti, which was built by order of Count Francesco Ferretti at the end of the XIV century;
- the Castle of Falconara Alta, built and renovated several times between the VII and XII centuries;
- the Franciscan and Piceno Library.