Fourth in size of the Liguria Region, Imperia became a city with its own authority in 1923 from the union between two old districts, always rivals in the past, split by the stream Impero: Oneglia and Porto Maurizio. Two centers completely different in all ways: Porto Maurizio spreads along the hillside of the Parasio and tumbles down to the sea with a series of buildings of the Middle ages; whilst in the plain area of Oneglia, the Savoia, that became Lords of the town in 1576, designed a network of streets with fortified mansions.
Porto Maurizio, situated on the Western side of the stream Impero, is a maze of alleys and narrow roads that open into a main square with an important noble mansion. Not to miss: the long portico of the Convent of Santa Chiara and the Neoclassic features in the Cathedral and the Town Hall.
The center of Oneglia is near the small port area and it extends along the Eastern side of the mouth of the stream Impero. It offers a blend between the naval traditions and the antique agricultural traditions. Important evidence can be traced in the "Olive" Museum, in the old factory of the olive oil manufacturers "Fratelli Carli". Of major interest it is possible to visit the collegiate Church of Saint John the Baptist in late Genoa Baroque style, with three naves and a dome.