The town's name, with certain Roman origins, derives from the local worship the goddess Diana, who replaced the Bomano god, worshiped before. A seaside resort in the province of Imperia, located in the Riviera di Ponente, famous for its Taggiasca olive oil production, Diano Marina offers to its visitors art and history, beautiful sandy beaches and a marina that offers the possibility to practice their abilities in various sports . On the occasion of the feast of Corpus Domini the streets of the village are decorated with drawings made with the flowers for the Flower Festival.
The discovery of an ancient necropolis evidence traces that go back to the Upper Paleolithic Ages. The Romans, in conquering the region, made it a point of support, which was called Lucus Borman, and of which the remains have recently been found. The spread of Christianity in the area occurred in the first century thanks to the Saints Nazario and Celso. As most centers of the Liguria Region, the town was often attacked by Saracen pirates and so the local population was forced to retreat and shelter in the hills inland. A strong economic development came from the presence of the Benedictine monks in the XI century with the introduction of the cultivation of olive trees. From the XIII century it became famous for its olive oil trading by sea. Until 1177, when the town became independent, it was a fief of the Marquises of Clavesana; in the XIII century it was under the control of the Genoese Republic and remained so for a long period. After the conquest by Napoleon in 1798, Diana was declared a Town with its own council and autonomy. In 1887 the town was destroyed by an earthquake and rebuilt in the urban layout that it still preserves today.
Not to miss:
The Church of Saints Nazario and Celso, in the area of Prato Fiorito, built on the remains of the antique Bormani Lucus. Built on the ruins of buildings from Roman times, it presents the different styles of subsequent remodeling.
The Oratory of the Santissima Annunziata, located in the harbor area, dates back to medieval times, but was repeatedly subjected to structural changes. It features frescoes of the XV century.
The Parish Church of Sant'Antonio Abate, built in 1862, it features Neo-classical interiors, marble altars of the XVII century, frescoes and paintings by Ligurian school including the Death of St. Joseph of the artist Luca Cambiaso.
St Anne's Church built in the XVII century in Baroque style, it has inside a marble altar of 1675.
The Civic Museum with its exhibits and a historical walkthrough of Diano Marina. It is located in the Palace del Parco built in the mid XIX century.
Villa Scarsella, which was built in the XVI century and was the Convent of the Dominican Friars.