Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

  • Hotel Il Gabbiano Positano

    Hotel Il Gabbiano Positano

    Quality Small Hotel Bed and Breakfast Accommodation Neapolitan Riviera Amalficoast Naples Sorrento Positano Amalfi Salerno Campania...

  • Biroccio Country House Albanella

    Biroccio Country House Albanella

    Quality Holiday Guest House Accommodation, Bed and Breakfast, Country House, Holiday Farmhouse, Cilento Coast Albanella Capaccio...

  • Hotel Villa Al Rifugio

    Hotel Villa Al Rifugio

    Quality 4 Stars Hotel Accommodation Restaurant Weddings and Events Cava de Tirreni Amalfi Coast Salerno Campania Italy

  • Molo Sant'Eligio Taranto

    Molo Sant'Eligio Taranto

    Harbour mooring Yacht Taranto, Tourist port, Apulia Region Italy

  • Hotel Le Fontanelle Siena

    Hotel Le Fontanelle Siena

    Luxury Charming Accommodation 5 Stars Hotel Wellness Relais SPA Pianella Castelnuovo Berardenga Siena Tuscany Italy

you are here: Home Liguria Coast of the Flowers Triora

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Triora

Description

One of the largest towns of the province of Imperia, located in the valley Argentina. It is composed of different districts: Bregalla, Cetta, Creppo, Goina, Loreto, Monesi, Realdo, Verdeggia of which Triora is the main center. Situated on a ridge of a mountain, surrounded by terraces, away from the sea and at a certain altitude, the town offers a mountain climate, but not too cold because it is sheltered from north winds coming from the Po Valley. The village of Monesi offers skiing facilities that operate even in the spring.
The settlement may have been founded by the tribe of the Ligurian Montani, who were subjected by the Romans. Subjected to Marca Aleramica and Arduino of Ivrea, it became territory of the Earl of Badalucco in the XII century and since then Triora tightened alliances with neighboring lands and expanded its territories. From the second half of the XIII century Triora became property of the Republic of Genoa and received many benefits, and a certain autonomy. To this period dates the construction of five fortresses and a mighty wall that saved the village from the attempt of conquest by the Emperor Charles IV. Part of the defense system was destroyed by Genoa in retaliation for the protests expressed by many residents and overburdened with exorbitant taxes imposed by the Republic. On that occasion the head of the militia of the village was imprisoned. However, although relations were not as idyllic as ever, the population of Triora around the end of the XIII century, supported Genoa at the Battle of Meloria against Pisa. The town is also famous for the witch trials celebrated during the XV and XVI century. In the early XVII century, the Savoy also tried in vain to conquer the village. Some years later, Triora was in dispute with the nearby town of Briga in matters connected with the exercise of the right of grazing on some border lands. After the fall of the Republic of Genoa and the inclusion of the French Empire, with the Vienna Congress, Triora was submitted to the Kingdom of Sardinia. Posted in the Reign of Italy during the Second World War, was destroyed by the Germans.

Not to miss:

The Church of San Bernardino, built in the XV century and features a porch with three arches supported by columns and frescoes of Canavesio or maybe of a pupil of the Tuscan painter of the Renaissance.
The Church of St Dalmazzo, probably built by the Benedictines. It preserves inside a valuable painting depicting St. Peter Nolasco.
The Collegiate Church of the Assumption, perhaps built on an earlier pagan temple, it was originally in Romanesque style with one major nave and two aisles, but was modified in the XVIII century to a single nave. In the XIX century the façade was covered with slabs of black stone and was given a Neoclassical style. AT present only one portal preserves the original colors in slate and white marble. The baptistery preserves a painting of 1397 by Taddeo di Bartolo.
The Church of Saint Catherine of Alexandria. The original building dates from the XIV century, but was rebuilt in 1390 by the Capponi family.
The Oratory of San Giovanni Battista in 1632 houses a wooden statue of Anton Maria Maragliano dating back to 1725 and a table of 1682.
The Church of Our Lady of Grace of the twelfth century.
The Church of St. Augustine in 1614.
The Church of Saint Anthony Abbot.
The Castle.

Map

This town web page has been visited 19,361 times.

Choose language

italiano

english