Town of the province of Imperia, the most important district on the demographic point of view of San Remo. It presents a coastal area, which was given the name of Bussana Mare, and recently has become a valued tourist and residential resort. Since '800, a keen interest of the population for flower cultivations has become a passion, that has made the area famous worldwide for its flowers.
Of recent origins, the town was created by the inhabitants of Old Bussana after a devastating earthquake that destroyed the ancient village. The survivors of the earthquake at first decided to settle in the lower area of the country, waiting to know the opinion of a committee of experts on the convenience and safety of a restructuring of the houses damaged. The area had been declared at high seismic risk. Decisive in this regard had been the previous earthquakes of 1831, 1851 and 1854, which had encouraged residents to reinforce their houses by introducing characteristic arches between the houses, between the first and second floors, still present in the narrow alleyways. Although the population was willing to expand and reconstruct the original village, the opinions of experts and the dictates of the local authorities imposed to rebuild the town in a new area known as Capo Marine at three miles distance, downstream. It was so that the first foundation stone was laid in 1889 and in 1894 the local inhabitants (Bussanesi) left forever the old town to its fate.