It is one of the two districts of Bordighera, in the province of Imperia. Located at 90 meters of altitude in a hilly area, surrounded by cultivated terraces, which hosts a thick vegetation that has charmed many famous artists over the ages. It is a ancient village not far from the coast where the houses of delicate pastel colors, mostly tall and narrow, present different angles and heights, which to the observer's eye seem composed and pleasant. The village lacks of a defined and clearly marked plan, not familiar to what can be seen in many places with similar ancient Ligurian origins, but for this very reason, it seems more lively and certainly devoids of monotony. The town is famous because the great Lombard painter Ennio Morlotti chose it to open his first studio in Liguria.
The origins are certainly prior to the XI century, as evidenced by certain historical documents. There were just a few families of Borghetto San Nicolò at the meeting in the Parish Church in September 1470, to decide the foundation of Bordighera. A plaque on the façade of the church, located in 1970, during the five-hundredth anniversary, commemorates the event. The district was part of the Captaincy to Ventimiglia and in 1686 it rebelled against this, and allied with Bordighera, Vallebona, Sasso, Soldano, San Biagio, Vallecrosia and Camporosso forming the Magnificent Community of Eight Places. In 1815 it was annexed to the Kingdom of Sardinia and in 1861 the district became part of the Kingdom of Italy. It then became an independent town until 1920.
Not to miss:
The late-Baroque Oratory entitled to the Annunziata and the nearby Parish Church with its steeple.
The Church of St. Peter and Paul in the nearby town of Sasso. Dating back to the XVIII, it preserves inside a fresco of the artist Maurizio Carrega.
The neighboring town of Bordighera full of prestigious buildings, gardens with rare plants, ancient churches, paintings and artworks of value and the famous and popular promenade.