It is the largest district of the city of Sanremo, in the province of Imperia, also called Colla (glue) or Colla of Sanremo. It is located on the crest of a hill which originates from Cape Pine to 250 feet in height from where it is possible to admire the superb coastline between Sanremo and the French Riviera. The village is located between Ospedaletti and Sanremo and its economy is dedicated to the cultivation of citrus, olive trees, vines and flowers.
The foundation of the centre goes back to the IX century, when the Knights of Rhodi sheltered here to cure their injured troops. Since then the valley located behind the village is called the Valley of Rhodes. During the attacks of the Saracens, the population was obliged to settle in the hinterland, in less exposed areas and here, on the hill of the Valley of Rhodes, the inhabitants built a castle, known as Castle Pine Poggio, and several forts. In the same century with the destruction of the castle, the residents left their home town and formed new clans and built new settlements in the area, but after nearly a century, they found themselves again on the hill where they built a new tower, previously destroyed in the XVII century. During 1700 the community, part of the town of Sanremo, proclaimed an autonomous status and municipality. Long-running conflicts with Sanremo followed this decision and finally with great difficulty the village was submitted by the Republic of Genoa, from which both town centres depended.
Not to miss:
The Art Gallery Rambaldi, founded in 1865 with the purchase by the Town Hall of a series of paintings, dating from between the XIV and the XVI centuries, that belonged to a priest called Rambaldi. Among the authors of the paintings, artists such as: Veronese, Ligozzi, Balassi, Reni and Credi.
The Library Rambaldi, attached to the gallery, which preserves about 5,000 texts published between the XV and the XIX century, many of them donated by the same priest.
The Shrine of Our Lady Pilgrim from the XVII century, built in one of the most panoramic settings of the town's centre.