The name celebrates the cult of Santa Vittoria, patron saint of the town, even though there are other currents of thought that connect the name to the goddess Victoria or two memorable victories: one achieved during the battle of Campi Raudii, fought between the Roman army of Gaius Marius and the Cimbri, and the one of the Romans over the Goths. Municipality in the province of Cuneo, the village is situated on the top of a hill, from where it is possible to admire a magnificent panorama over the plain of the River Tanaro and is dominated by the castle tower that gives, to Santa Vittoria d'Alba, the appearance of a village of the past . The superb surrounding environment features corners of artistic interest between forests, orchards and vineyards, marked by numerous paths.
The territory was already inhabited since the pre-Roman era: evidenced by the discovery of an axe and other artifacts of this period. The first settlers were certainly of Celt-Ligurian origins, attested by numerous witnesses, were defeated and expelled by the Romans. The first documented reports date back to the year 1000, to the fall of the Roman Empire, when the territory, without defense, was exposed to the mercy of many invaders. Its location, which allowed the control of the territory, was chosen by the people of the plains as shelter from the Saracens excursions. In later times, its privileged location, caused disputes between noble families in the area and nearby cities. Over the centuries the fief belonged to the Bishop of Asti, the Abbot of Breme, the family Piloso, the Visconti, the Porro and the Marquis of Romagnano. In the second half of the XVIII century the town was annexed to the Kingdom of the Savoy.
Not to miss:
- the Church of the Brotherhood of St. Francis, a rectangular shaped building with a wooden coffered ceiling with an apse prism. Inside it hosts an extraordinary cycle of frescoes by an unknown artists, probably of the Canavese, or the pupils of his school, depicting the Passion of Christ, dating the XV-XVI century. The Bell tower, a square shaped building, which was originally part of the castle, as evidenced by the presence of loopholes;
- the Parish Church of the Assumption, built in 1703, the façade is outlined with pilasters, niches and a rich portal. It has a rectangular base and features a single aisle. Inside are preserved several artworks such as: a Madonna and Child by the artist Macrino Alba, a painting of the Virgin, attributed to Aliberti, a fine white marble altar and a beautiful inlaid wooden choir;
- the Church of San Rocco, built in 1792, currently in disuse;
- the Church of Santa Paula;
- The Turriglio, a circular stone building, which dates back to Roman times and whose utility is unknown;
- The castle, built in the XII century and renovated in the XIV and XV centuries. Today it houses an important hotel complex.