It is a municipality in the province of Cuneo, part of the territories, that once belonged to the Roero, whose lands are crossed by the river Tanaro and is divided into two districts: Baraccone, located in the plains, and San Giuseppe, surrounded by hills covered with vineyards. It surrounding territories are the ideal location for great excursions.
The area's history goes back to the Roman times as evidenced by the presence of land funds to which the Roman names of their owners were assigned. At the end of the X, the existence of small settlement have been attested. In 1093 the Castle of Castagnito and the Abbey of Breme were donated by the Emperor Henry IV to the Church of San Siro in Pavia. Later the territory was divided into two fiefs: Serra San Pietro and Castagnito, which was also partially property of the Bishop of Asti, who ceded his lands in fief in the XIII century to the De Jaffa at first and later as a pledge to the De Brayda that kept hold of the domain until the early XV century, in exchange for loans. Part of the area was purchased by the Roero Family in the late XIV century. In 1369, the area was the scenario of clashes between the troops of the Visconti and of the English army and in the second half of the XIV century the fief was sold by the Church to the Roero as a sign of gratitude for liberating the castle from the occupation and raid of the soldiers of the Visconti. In the first half of XVII century the town was subject to raids by French troops.
- the Parish Church of St. John the Baptist, which was built in the second half of the XVIII century, where once stood a pre-existing church, whose presence was already documented in the early XVI century. Of the original structure remains just the Bell Tower, restored in 1660 and incorporated in the original façade. Inside is preserved an icon, artwork attributed to the artist Moncalvo;
- the Parish Church of St. Joseph, built in the homonymous village, cited in 1742, it was enlarged in the late XVIII century and again in the next century. In 1924 it was again restored and decorated by Morgari. It is preceded by a staircase and has a beautiful façade divided by columns;
- the Church of the Holy Spirit, which was already registered at the Land Registry in the early XVI century and was refurbished in the XVIII century in Baroque style;
- the Chapel of St. Bernard in Chiaravalle, cited in documents since the XVI century, features a central plan, preceded by a porch;
- Our Lady of the Countryside, attested since the XVI century, was built in its present form in 1884 and features a bell in iron;
- the Church of the Madonna del Popolo rebuilt in 1740;
- numerous votive pillars, scattered in the area.