The town's name derives from Latin, "Mangiana Colonia". A municipality in the province of Cuneo, situated on a hill surrounded by a splendid green environment and main center is dominated by the imposing bulk of a castle.
The origins of the town date back to Roman times: Mango was a garrison for the supply of food, necessary for the Imperial troops. The veterans, settled here and founded a colony. Dominated by the Marquis of Busca in the second half of the XIII century, Mango was at odds with the town of Alba in the battle of Cossano and its troops managed to gain the victory. After the succession of Asti to Alba, three castles of Avene, Lalonzo and Frave were destroyed. The center was under the control of the Duchy of Mantua for three centuries and became a possession of the Savoy in the early XVIII century. Due to its particular location, it was submitted to the province of Acqui, then to Alba, and finally to Cuneo. During the Second World War, Mango was an important garrison of the partisan resistance.
Not to miss:
- the Parish Church of Saints James and Christopher;
- the Church of San Donato;
- the Chapel of Saint Ambrose;
- the Castle of the Marquis of Busca, which was built on the ruins of an old XIII century fortress, built here for its favorable position to control the surrounding territory. Destroyed in 1680, it was replaced in the XVIII century by an imposing new building, which features a large garden. Of the old castle, whose stones were used for the building of the new one, remain the dungeons, the tunnels and secret passages. Today, transformed into a luxurious mansion, owned by the municipality, it hosts cultural events and is the permanent establishment of the Regional market of local Moscato wines;
- the House of Memories.