Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Piedmont Langhe and Roero Castiglione Falletto

More About

Here you can find info and tips about the area you are visiting.

Most viewed in Castiglione Falletto

  • Brovia Wines Piedmont

    "In the wonderful hills of Barolo wine, where the landscape begins to take on a different, more animated guise, there is a family that has always been associated with wine: the BROVIAs. The Winery had been set up as far back as 1863 and is settled in...

  • Cavallotto Winery Vineyards Bricco Boschis Piedmont

    The vineyards of the Bricco Boschis estate extend over 23 hectares of which about half is given over to Nebbiolo vines for Barolo wine. The remaining part is sub-divided into Dolcetto, Barbera, Freisa, Grignolino and since 1989 Chardonnay and Pinot Nero...

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

Castiglione Falletto

Description

The first part of its name derives from the presence of a fortress in the town, while the second part recalls the family that bought the territories in 1589. Municipality in the province of Cuneo, in the Langhe area of Piedmont, located on a hill completely surrounded by orderly rows of vines, the town is concentrated in a circular shape around the castle. The small shops of the main center have a delicatessen tradition.
The town has ancient origins: the discovery of a plaque inside the castle evidences the presence of Romans at the times of the Empire. In the Middle Ages it belonged to the Marquis of Saluzzo, to which succeeded several noble families linked to the Aleramicis, such as the Falletti, the Claretti and the Vassallo of Dogliani. The construction of the fortress in the XIII century was ordered by Berthold Falletti, while the Vassallo dealt with the renovation of the building in the first half of the XIX century. Castiglione was conquered by the French and remained under their control until the XVII century, while with the Treaty of Lione, it became a possession of the Savoy until the unification of Italy.

Attractions:
- the Parish Church of San Lorenzo, in Romanesque style, in 1893 was restored and neo-Gothic features were conferred. It has a particularly rich façade, divided into three parts by two-color vertical stripes. Each side features a gateway with a portal, the side ones with archways and the central one richly decorated and surmounted by a canopy. Inside, the decorations are art works of the brothers Finati, such as the oval altar piece dating from the XVIII century, depicting the Virgin and Saints Andrew and Francis;
- the Chapel of the Confraternity of Battuti;
- the Castle, situated in a dominant position, was built by the Marquis of Saluzzo, features a square structure with circular towers, fortified walls and a garden on two levels.

Map

This town web page has been visited 27,241 times.

Choose language

italiano

english