The town's name derives from a local legend, that recalls to the times when the area was inhabited only by wolves. A small town in the province of Cuneo, in the Piedmont region, it is situated on the ridge of a hill at a height, that when the weather allows, it is possible to admire part of the Alps and the beautiful surrounding hill area planted with vineyards, from which the local farmers obtain the acclaimed fine wines: Barolo, Barbera, Dolcetto and Barbaresco. The center's economy is dedicated mainly to agriculture and tourism, this is helped by the beautiful natural scenery, mild climate and the possibility of trekking or mountain biking in close by with a direct contact with environment. There are several paths to choose between through the forests, vineyards and hazelnut woods, that reach the various castles dislocated in the Langhe area.
The discovery near the Basin of Caudana of fragments of amphora pots and other interesting findings, evidence the presence of settlements in the area since the I century A.D.. Officially founded in the XIII century, the local tales tell that it was originally a shelter built by the inhabitants of Uriolo, a town situated between Guarene and Piobesi Alba. Montelupo suffered the domination of various noble families, including the Gonzaga and the Mombaruzzo. In the highest point of the town, once stood the Castle of the Counts Rangone, an ancient and very influential family in Piedmont in the Middle Ages.
Not to miss:
- the Parish of the Assumption, built in 1764, which was built by architect Rangone, who was born in Montelupo. The building is in Baroque Piedmont style and features a Latin cross plan, embellished inside with superb frescoes. The façade is divided into two parts, a smaller one at the bottom and a larger one on top, surmounted by a tympanum;
- the Church of the Battuti in Romanesque style, built between 1100-1200, it features a beautiful stone Bell tower;
- the Chapel dell'Oriolo, surrounded a wood, it features a Classic style. It has ancient origins and was rebuilt in the early XVIII century after being damaged several times over the years.