The name derives from the Latin word "tres" (three), indicating the miles between the old town's main centre and the access to the Roman road 'Magistra Langarum" , that linked the city of Alba to the Gallia. Small town in the province of Cuneo, not far from Alba, in the Lower Langa, it is situated on top of a hill that slopes gently towards the valley below, marked by a myriad of colors and forms created from the vines that cover entirely the surrounding territories. The town center overlooks the whole valley between the streams of Tinella and Seno d'Elvio. In addition to the main center, the area features small clumps of houses and isolated farms here and there. There are several trekking itineraries to follow, to live more intensely the extraordinary beauty of these lands with its magic and cultural points. The local inhabitants propose a traditional cuisine and produce a particular quality of hazelnuts, white truffles and a great selection of fine wines such as Barbaresco, Barbera d'Alba, Dolcetto and Moscato d'Asti.
The discovery of remains of Prehistoric Ages evidence of the presence of settlements in this area since the Neolithic era. The Romans also settled here, as witnessed by the name given to the town.
The municipality became independent in 1957, when it was separated from the nearby one of Barbaresco, of which it had shared the vicissitudes over the centuries.
Not to miss:
- the Parish Church of the Assumption, built in 1755 in Baroque style, is located in the main square. It preserves inside a fine marble group representing the Assumption of the Virgin and to decorate the altars two paintings: one representing St. Luigi Gonzaga and St. Catherine, artwork of the artist Gagliardi in 1703, and the other depicting the Virgin of the Rosary with the Saints Bovo and Isidoro, masterpiece of Operti, realized in 1766. The Bell tower was completed only in 1767. At the end of the XIX century the interior was enriched with frescoes of brothers Toscano;
- the Fortress of Seven Brothers, the result of erosion accomplished over the centuries by the waters of the sea. The result is a series of canyons, that create a natural amphitheater. The area is named so, due to a local legend that reports the death, here, of seven brothers, punished for their vices.