The town's name derives from the Latin words "silva Barbaric", certainly in relation to the local presence of large forests in the area. Municipality in the province of Cuneo, in the region of Piedmont, located not far from the river Tanaro and surrounded by hills covered with vineyards from which are produced prestigious wines such as the quality Barbaresco, which is a key factor for the local economy. It is an ideal destination for those who research for good food (the white truffle in particular), and trekking itineraries through the hills, along the ancient Roman roads through the Valley of Martinenga.
The area has been inhabited since prehistoric times by the Ligurian Stazielli population, that with the advent of the Roman conquerors, were forced to seek refuge in the shade of the woods. The center reached a certain level of development thanks to the Roman road, that linked the town to nearby Asti, and encouraged the trade. In this period, part of the forest areas gave way to the cultivation of crops. With the fall of Roman Empire, the territory remained defenseless, easy prey to the conquering peoples: the Lombards, the Franks and the Saracens. Subsequently Barbaresco submitted the domain of the Roggero. In the Middle Ages the local inhabitants built a defensive tower and a castle, as the town was often the subject of contention between Asti and Alba, and between the powerful local families. Later the town became domain of the Savoy, until in 1798 it acquired its administrative autonomy.
Not to miss:
- the Parish Church of San Giovanni Battista, which dates back to 1728 and was built in Baroque style. The Bell tower was built and embellished in a later period. Inside are preserved the marble high altar designed by Count Rangone Montelupo, the Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary, the Chapel of St. Joseph, the XVIII century inlaid wooden choir, the marble baptismal font and two polychrome sculptures by Francesco Vacca. The interior has also been recently enriched with frescoes by the artist Cavazza;
- the Church of San Donato, built in 1833 with materials taken from existing religious buildings in ruins. The present church was decorated in 1833 by the artist Viglino and today houses the Enoteca Regionale del Barbaresco, famous for its wine tasting area;
- the Chapel of St. Theobald, a smaller building erected on the ruins of a larger one, offers to its visitors a beautiful panorama over the nearby countryside;
- the votive pillars and shrines scattered throughout the area;
- the Tower, emblem of the town, dating from the late XI century and certainly was part of a broader defensive system. Built on a square base of sandstone, it is 30 meters high and dominates over the entire neighborhood, Alba, Cherasco, Asti;
- the Castle, dating from the XVIII century, was built by the Counts Galeoni and renovated several times over the years.