The name derives from the Latin "Buxolascum" (rich of evergreen plants). It is a municipality in the province of Cuneo, situated on a pleasant hill between the valleys of the rivers Belbo and Tanaro. The town with its stone houses colored by rose gardens is set amidst the green. Not far from here, the Maritime Alps and Cozie with Monviso create a kind of natural barrier, also called "of the roses" for the presence of a colorful street enriched with about 10,000 rose bushes, which has inspired World famous artists and intellectuals thanks to its charm and the beauty of the area. The Alta Langa area offers various opportunities for excursions: such as the famous "paths through the local history," trails used for centuries for the trading of goods, Bossolasco is located on the crossroad between Liguria and Piedmont.
Of ancient origins, it seems that the primitive settlement dates from the II century B.C. It was certainly affected by the Roman domination: in 173 B.C. the Roman consul Mario Pompilio submitted the inhabitants of the area. The fall of the Roman Empire was followed by the Barbarian invasions. Recorded for the first time in an official document in the year 1077, it was the scene of clashes between the Marquis of Monferrato and the Carretto. The town was later conquered by the French of Napoleon, then it became part of the Kingdom of Sardinia and finally part of the Kingdom of Italy. Since the '70s it has become a very popular ski resort.
Not to miss:
- the Parish Church dedicated to St. John the Baptist, built in 1927 in neo-Gothic style on the remains of a previous church dating from the XV century. It features three naves, a stone façade and a porch with pillars. The bell tower with its spire and pinnacles is one of the few original features of the original building.
- the Shrine of Our Lady of Mellea, in late Baroque style, dating from the XVIII century, is the present building is result of various refurbishments over the ages. It features a single nave, an unusual façade, with a plastered tympanum supported by two tall columns and a porch. The semicircular apse houses a marble statue of the Virgin of the XIX century.
- the Castle of Balestrino, a large stone building of the XVII century, features a large lobby and large rooms. It was built with materials taken from the castle of Carretto, a building ruined in the XIV century. It became property of the Cabutto in the XVIII century and today it is the seat of public offices.