Questo sito o gli strumenti terzi da questo utilizzati si avvalgono di cookie necessari al funzionamento ed utili alle finalità illustrate nella cookie policy. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie, consulta la cookie policy. Chiudendo questo banner, scorrendo questa pagina, cliccando su un link o proseguendo la navigazione in altra maniera, acconsenti all'uso dei cookie.

Accetta

 

english

you are here: Home Marche Marche's Hinterland San Severino Marche

Stay

Visit a locality browsing the menu on the left. In each Italy area you can then choose the best touristical structures we are proposing.

More About

Here you can find info and tips about the area you are visiting.

Print this page Send to a friend by e-mail

Share:
fb-like
g-plus

San Severino Marche

Panorama Panorama

Panorama

Panorama

Description

San Severino Marche is a picturesque mountain town in the province of Macerata, located on the Colle Nero Mount and crossed by the Potenza river. It draws its origins from the Roman municipium of Septempeda, although intensive excavations reveal that the area was inhabited since the Paleolithic period and, subsequently, by the Piceni.
The Roman municipium was abandoned in the early Middle Ages, due to the frequent sacks suffered by the population; the new city was reborn in the form of a castrum named after the Bishop Severino, who lived in the VI century. After the Lombard domination, it was annexed to the possessions of the Church and, therefore, it was a free ghibellino commune fighting with neighbors Guelph communes. From the second half of the XIV century to the early XV century, it was subjected to the lordship of the Smeducci and, later, the Sforza before returning again to the Church in 1445. Bishopric in 1586, it followed the fortunes of the Papal State until the Unification of Italy.

Sites of interest:
- the archaeological area of Septempeda, with tufa towers of the II century BC, remains of walls, public buildings and thermal spa;
- the locality "Castello", on the summit of Colle Nero Mount, where once stood the medieval village of which now there are large sections of walls, two gates and two towers, symbol of the town (the Torre del Comune and the bell tower of the old Cathedral);
- Piazza del Popolo (XIII century), one of the most beautiful of the region, has an elliptical shape, surrounded by arcades and Renaissance style buildings;
- the ruins of the Castle of Aliforni (XIII century);
- the Castle of Carpignano, situated on a hill overlooking a bend of the Cesolone river, already existed at the beginning of the XI century;
- the ruins of the Castle of Colleluce, strategically located between the valley of Potenza and Chienti, was completely destroyed by the army of the King of Naples Alfonso V of Aragon;
- the ruins of the Castle of Elcito (XIII century);
- the ruins of the Castle of Isola (XIII-XIV century), whose main tower in sandstone blocks is still visible;
- the Castle of Pitino (XIII century), the most important castle of San Severino Marche defense system;
- the ruins of the Castle of Serralta and the Rock of Monte Acuto;
- the Civic Tower, located in Salimbeni square, was built in the XIII century for lookout functions;
- the Clock Tower, built in the XIX century and designed by Ireneo Aleandri;
- the old Cathedral, located in Castello locality, was the church of the primitive medieval village. Built in the X century and rebuilt several times, it preserves the mortal remains of the Patron Saint of the town. The XIV century portal, the brick facade of the same time and fine wooden choir in Renaissance style are very interesting;
- the Abbey of Val Fucina, Benedictine abbey of X-XI century;
- the Church of Sant'Agostino, also called new Cathedral, was originally dedicated to Saint Mary Magdalene. Assigned to the Augustinians in the XIII century, it was remodeled several times until 1827 when it became a Cathedral. The XV century façade, the portal adorned with pottery and traces of frescoes by Lorenzo D'Alessandro worth a visit;
- the Church of San Lorenzo in Doliolo, dating back to the XII century, preserves frescoes by the Salimbeni brothers in the crypt;
- the Church of San Giuseppe, built in 1628 by the Tinti family, has a Baroque-style facade;
- the Church of Santa Maria della Pieve, in Romanesque style;
- the Church of San Domenico, built in the XIII century together with the adjoining convent, has a valuable XVI century painting by Bernardino di Mariotto;
- the Church of Santa Maria di Valdiola (XIII century), with interesting frescoes;
- the Church of Santa Maria di Cesello, with a high pitched roof in order to preserve a XVI century fresco;
- the Church of the Majesty, built in the second half of the XV century, has frescoes by Lorenzo D'Alessandro;
- the Monastery of Santa Caterina, built by the Benedictine in 1261;
- the Shrine of Madonna dei Lumi (1560);
- the Shrine of San Pacifico (XII-XIV century);
- the Shrine of Santa Maria del Glorioso (XVI century);
- the Shrine of SS. Salvatore in Colpersito (XI century);
- the Town Hall, built in 1764 and designed by Clemente Orlandi;
- Feronia Theatre, entitled to the goddess that, according to tradition, had a temple in Septempeda, was designed by Ireneo Aleandri;
- the Civic Art Gallery, housed in Palazzo Manuzzini, contains works by Lorenzo and Jacopo Salimbeni, Allegretto Nuzi, Paolo Venenziano, Lorenzo D'Alessandro, Vittore Crivelli, Bernardino di Mariotto and Pinturicchio;
- Villa Collio, a Neoclassical style residence.

Map

This town web page has been visited 10,118 times.

Choose language

italiano

english