Municipality in the province of Ascoli Piceno, in the valleys of the river Tesino and the stream Menocchia, on top of a ridge, from where it is possible to admire a vast and beautiful landscape, Ripatransone contains, within massive walls of the XV century, a medieval town. It also features houses with porches and beautiful palaces built in later periods. It is a city of art and at the same time, a Summer resort, which attracts several tourists every year. Its local economy is based on a significant agricultural production of wine and oil specialties.
The area was inhabited since the Neolithic Ages by Italic populations of Umbria and Piceno. Later it was colonized by the Romans and subject to the invasions of the Barbarians after the Empire's fall. In the XIII century, the town was the first rural municipality in Italy, affected by battles with rival cities and was disputed, for a long while, between the noble families of Malatesta and Sforza. In 1444, the town submitted one of the most memorable attacks by the troops of Francesco Sforza, that only a year later, it was able to regain its freedom. The town was proclaimed capital of the County in the Napoleonic era.
Not to miss:
- the Church of St. Philip, today entitled to the Immaculate Conception, was founded in the late XVII century. It features a single nave plan with side chapels, including one dedicated to St. Philip which houses a fine marble altar. Inside are preserved some valuable XVIII century altarpieces, a statue of the Immaculate Conception, by Fedele Bianchini, a baptismal font of the XX century and two bas-reliefs, artwork of the artist Gera;
- the Cathedral, dedicated to St. Gregory the Great and St. Margaret, dates from the late XVI century. The building is flanked by a tall Bell Tower with a square base surmounted by a spire, erected nearby to the Bishop's palace;
- the Church of San Michele Arcangelo with a Romanesque nave presents artworks of the XV-XVI centuries;
- the Church of Santa Maria della Petrella of the XV century, located in the district with the same name, contains frescoes by the pupils of the School of Giotto;
- the Church of Santa Maria Magna, also known as San Francisco, dating from the XIII century;
- the Church of Santa Chiara, in late baroque style, was consecrated in the middle of the XVII century;
- the Church of Santa Maria Annunziata of Agello, now desecrated;
- the Church of Our Lady of Monte del Carmine, located in the village with the same name;
- the Church of Santa Caterina, now desecrated;
- the XIX century Church of Saint Anthony;
- the Church of Santa Maria della Valle;
- the Church of San Benigno;
- the Church of Santa Croce;
- the Church of San Pastore;
- the Parish Church of San Nicolò;
- the Church of San Rocco;
- the Town Hall, rebuilt in the late XVII century, today seat of the Archaeological Museum;
- the Palazzo Bonomi Gera, built at the end of the XVII century, at present houses an Art Gallery and a collection of plaster casts;
- the Palazzo del Podestà, dating back to 1304, in late Romanesque style, features a beautiful porch;
- the Caves of Holiness, located in the underground of the village, a network of tunnels created by man, dating back to prehistoric times.