The town's name derives from the Latin word "Cingulum". Municipality in the province of Macerata, located on a hill in the Valley of the Musone, that for its particular position, permits to enjoy a magnificent panorama of the surrounding area to the sea: also known as "the Balcony of the Marche". It is a fortified village, whose medieval walls, still well preserved, create a very suggestive atmosphere. Not all the gateways are still visible, but fortunately there are several typical medieval stone houses, as well as narrow and winding streets. Among the noble residences it is possible to feel in each corner the presence of historic and artistic features.
It is assumed that the center was founded by the Piceno tribes, while the presence of remnants of structures and inscriptions certainly attest that the territory was colonized by the Romans in the II century B.C. and in the following years, it became important from a military garrison, protected by the access difficulty to reach the site. This particular location saved the town from the devastation caused by the Gothic-Byzantine war. After the invasion by the Lombards, the Marche region was divided between Ravenna and the Lombard Duchy of Spoleto and Cingoli was assigned to the latter. In the Carolingian period the town was submitted to the Papal States and in 1150, it was proclaimed municipality.
- the Church of San Esuperanzio in Romanesque-Gothic style, which was founded in the XII century by Benedictine monks. It features a simple stone façade with a rose window, enriched with a little cloister. The interior has a single nave and is decorated with frescoes of the XV-XVI century, such as: the Flagellation created by Sebastiano del Piombo and a XV century altarpiece by Antonio da Fabriano;
- the Cathedral, built in 1564, where once stood a former church and features a single nave plan with three apses and a large XIV century altarpiece, artwork of Antonio da Fabriano;
- the Church of San Domenico, whose presence is already attested in the XIII century, was renovated completely in the XVIII century;
- the XIII century Church of St. Nicholas, in Romanesque-Gothic style, contains a XVI century altarpiece, artwork of Lorenzo Lotto, which depicts the Madonna del Rosario;
- the XIV century Church of San Francesco, rebuilt in the XVIII century, preserves inside a precious XVII century wooden crucifix;
- the Church of San Filippo Neri, with early Christian foundations and a XIII century Romanesque façade. The interior features Baroque decorative elements;
- the Town Hall, originally built in the XIII century, has been embellished with XVI century Renaissance style decorations. It features a XVI century porch dominated by a Romanesque clock tower. It houses the Civic Museum and is also seat, on the ground floor, of the State Archaeological Museum, which houses artifacts of the Prehistoric, Roman and Medieval Ages;
- the old XIV century Prison;
- Palazzo Felici-Puccetti, built between the XVII and XVIII centuries, features a richly carved portal and highlighted a beautiful garden with statues and niches;
- Palazzo Cavallini-Mucciolanti;
- the Bishop's Palace;
- Palazzo Castiglioni;
- the Simonetti Palaces;
- Palazzo Silvestri;
- Palazzo Felici;
- Palazzo Cima;
- Palazzo Onori.