The town's name derives from the presence in the area of a temple in honor of the goddess Cupra, a deity worshiped by the ancient pre-Roman population of Piceni, which was the equivalent of Venus to the Romans. It is a municipality in the province of Ancona, on a hill in the Vallesina, famous for the production of a fine Verdicchio DOC wine. The local economy is based mainly on farming and on local handicraft.
The first inhabitants of the area were the Piceni who founded the center around the VI and V centuries B.C., while later it was colonized by the Romans. During the Greek-Gothic war, the settlement was completely destroyed and abandoned. In the Middle Ages the ruins were reused for the construction of a fortification, called Massaccio, easily defensible, due to its predominant location. During the period of the Lombard domain, Cupramontana became part of the Duchy of Spoleto-Camerino and in the XIII century was incorporated into the County of Jesi. In the first half of XV century, the town was occupied by the troops of Francesco Sforza, while in the XVI century, it was raided and sacked by the troops of the Duke Della Rovere and was submitted to the direct control of the Papal States. During the following centuries, characterized by a relative calm period, Cupramontana developed in demographic and cultural terms. At the end of the XVIII century it was invaded by French troops and regained its old name only in 1861.
- the Abbey of Blessed Angelo, a monastery in the Romanesque-Gothic style, quoted since 1180, but with no doubt, built in a previous era. The church was rebuilt in 1853 and inside are preserved the remains of Blessed Angelo Urbani and a XV century painting of the Fiorentino;
- the Church of San Leonardo, built in the second half of the XVIII century, designed by Mori and erected on the site of a former building of the XII century. The façade is divided into two architectural orders and features pilasters and niches. Inside it keeps a XVII century masterpiece of Sarti, a XV century painting by Marcantonio of Andrea di Jesi, an altarpiece of Andrea Scoccianti, a XIV century silver and copper cross and other valuable works;
- the Church of San Giacomo della Romita, originally built before the XIII century, it was rebuilt in its present form in the XVIII century;
- the Church of Santa Maria della Misericordia;
- the Hermitage of the White Friars;
- the Church of San Lorenzo.
- the archaeological area in which there are traces of antique Roman baths;
- the Museum of the Label in Palazzo Leoni.