The town's name derives from the Latin word "Vicus" (village). Municipality in the province of Macerata, Visso is a mountain settlement located in a privileged position between Rome, Umbria and the town of Spoleto, from where it is possible to admire a superb panorama over the Sibillini Mountains. The historical center, surrounded by fortified walls, features four main gate entrances and inside contains, in very little space, an incredible number of portals, palaces and other important vestiges of its history.
It is believed that the area was inhabited as early as 1500 B.C., while for sure, in 295 B.C., it was colonized by the Romans. Once dispersed the Roman Empire, the town was occupied by the Lombards and became part of the Duchy of Spoleto. Proclaimed municipality, this center, divided into "Guaite" (districts) , submitted the domain of the Da Varano and for this was often in conflict with neighboring villages for the control of the surrounding territories. Even though, in the XV century, the citizens received several privileges from the Church, the following centuries were characterized by epidemics, natural disasters and looting. These bad days were fortunately followed by a period of rebirth, characterized by the construction of beautiful buildings, which are still visible today. Until the late XVIII century, when Napoleon subjugated the area, Visso was subjected to the Papal States and after the Congress of Vienna, the Church regained the control. In 1828 Visso was proclaimed City and in the second half of the XIX century, its territories were removed from the region Umbria and assigned to the Marches.
- the Collegiate Church of Santa Maria, built in Romanesque-Gothic style, features an old part which dates back to the XII century. The façade is embellished with a beautiful XIV century portal surmounted by a frescoed lunette. The building is flanked by a beautiful Bell Tower interrupted by mullioned windows;
- the Sanctuary of Macereto built in the XVI century by Giovan Battista da Lugano and incorporates a preexisting XIV century chapel;
- the Church of St. Augustine, dating from the XIV century, features a façade with three cusps. Now desecrated, houses a museum;
- Piazza of the Martyrs Vissani, with its XV century palaces and churches arranged in a harmonious and elegant way;
- the late XVI century Palazzo of the Guaite;
- the Palace of Divine Love;
- the Palace of the Governors;
- Palazzo dei Priori.